This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

view network PC's

n_spect_r

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:52:51 am

I installed Zorin on my laptop and I am trying to connect to networked PC's. Three others are running XP pro.
Been reading through a lot of stuff over the past week and I am thoroughly confused. I have samba installed, can not quite figure out how to edit the config file, although I think I might need to. Here is what happens,
I open computer then entire network, I see Windows network, open that and I see Workgroup, open that and after a few seconds I get a message box; Opening Workgroup, After several seconds the box changes to read;
Unable to mount location, failed to retrieve share list from server.
I read a post that suggested removing Winbind, tried still no luck. Also tried pyNeighborhood, with that I can see the other computers on the left pane but can not access them. Internet is fine, wireless works great and I even managed to install the wireless printer. I just really need to transfer files between this laptop and at least one of the other PC's.
Thanks for any help.

n_spect_r

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:51:24 pm

That gets me half way there. The windows PC's can now access my shared folder on the Zorin laptop but Zorin still can not find the networked PC's.

n_spect_r

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:17:49 pm

How?

n_spect_r

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:01:35 am

The file location that page indicates is just a sample. I found this file in a different location.
usr/share/doc/nautilus-share/examples
Every other smb.conf I found indicated it was a sample

[global]
workgroup = Workgroup
security = share

usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershares
usershare max shares = 100
usershare allow guests = yes
usershare owner only = yes
wins support = yes

Still not able to access PC's but the PC's can access the Zorin laptop.

n_spect_r

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58:16 am

The home workgroup is called workgroup. I left the windows default. The basic Zorin file browser still gives the same error, pyNeighborhood shows the name Workgroup on the left pane. Opening it shows the Zorin laptop and the other three windows computers. Clicking on any of the windows computers does nothing. If I could get pyNeighborhood to work that would be good too. Any way to move files, very frustrating.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:59:54 am

Hi,

I don't use it myself but you can look at the links below:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Sam ... ollection/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/servergui ... erver.html

I hope you find the answer to your problem there!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

n_spect_r

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35:27 pm

I believe this is a router issue. Yesterday at the in-laws I was able to access shared files on their PC, also running Win XP Pro. This morning at work I can access PC's on the work network. I have a Netgear router at home, here is a Linksys and the in-laws have a d-link. I am inclined to believe there is a router setting that is interfering. Will keep plugging away.

n_spect_r

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:29:13 pm

Firewalls are all off. I did discover however that at the times I was able to brows other PC's, there was only 1 other on the network. Very frustrating. The pages I find for help are more confusing. Screenshots and examples are for older versions that do not look at all like what I have. I think my favorite is on the Samba home page, it says to download the zip and install it according to the manual for my system. I have no manual and cannot find one. Most of this seems to be written by and for programmers which I am not. It also appears that network sharing has been an issue for several years. Must be a pretty big issue to take so long to solve.