This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 5.2 Problem

PossumNZ

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:37:24 pm

When Zorin 5.2 has opened there is no task bar on my desktop. All I have is the desktop picture, computer and home folder icon.
I right clicked on the desktop and only have options to change the desktop picture or theme, no help to restore the task bar.

So I am unable to start any programmes because the Zorin button is missing to start the all programmes list where I could open terminal to update any missing dependencies.

Any help please.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:50:52 pm

Hi,

see this post also, start with the 3rd option:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

Regards Wolfman :D

PossumNZ

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:40:10 pm

Thanks for the help guys, but firstly Alt F2 on my laptop for some reason doesn't open the terminal window.

I done the dpkg files update, repair i recovery mode and after an impressive visual display on my laptop screen of files etc, and then carefully exiting after the programme had finished ,then restarting, I was still greeted with a desktop with no taskbar.

Any suggestions please.

DonnaTroy

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:05:25 pm

I also have the same problem. No panel, no taskbar, no nothing at all: just my background and home file icons and trash icon... Can't find a way to open a terminal either. I konw that it has to do with messing around with options for the 'Cube'. I think I asked for my panel to automatically hide. I just doesn't wan't to 'un-hide' anymore, so I can't add anything to it. I managed to open the help program (nothing good for me in there) and that's how I go to open an internet window. And 'Alt+ F2' won't do a thing, nada! I've got my 'cube' and other effects, but can't really do anything else, especially going to system options: quite impossible there. Can anybody help? Please? Thanks!

madvinegar

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51:23 pm

Have you tried pressing ctrl+alt+F1 to open terminal?
Write your nick and pass and then
Code:
killall gnome-panel
and hit <enter>

To get back to your desktop click ctrl+alt+F7