This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install command not working in terminal

Baz P

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:04:51 pm

I've been trying to install a second copy of Opera in Zorin - and yes I do mean a separate copy - and have been following some advice (here http://surferzworld.com/2010/12/install ... ra-ubuntu/) which has led me into the terminal commands (perhaps pretty ambitions as I've not been using Zorin for a week yet) but can get no further that this:
sudo /opt/opera11/install
when I press "Enter" I'm advised "sudo /opt/opera11/install: command not found"

Do I have to load something to get the install command working?

I did somehow have two versions working until earlier today when I deleted the one that was a "Windows" version and I have no idea how to recover that one.

Baz P

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41:35 pm

Thanks for you quick response - but perhaps I didn't give you all the facts or make my original query clear.

Opera is working fine (loaded from the debian package) but I understood that, to load a separate version, it was necessary to download a tar.bz2 or tar.gz version and install that from the opt directory which I've created. I'll carry on trying.

By the way I downloaded and installed, using the above instructions, the Debian package but received the following notification when trying to download Opera: Couldn't find any package by regex `opera_11.62.deb`

Wolfman

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:25:39 am

Hi Baz,

I have a question, why on earth do you want 2 versions of the same prog??.

Unless you install a version using Wine; I think you should leave it alone if you intend to use Linux versions only as it may cause a system conflict!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Baz P

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22:50 am

Thanks for the corrected address, Swarfendor437. Thank you for your reply which I hope to get around to investigating later today.

As far as having two separate versions of Opera is concerned, Wolfman, I tend to have many Opera tags open at the same time - some more private than others - and I just find it easy to swap between the two. Probably easier than having sixty or seventy tabs open in a single version.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:27:22 am

Hi Baz,

would it not be easier to simply start a second instance of Opera??.

Baz P

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:48:35 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Baz,

would it not be easier to simply start a second instance of Opera??.

Possibly, although I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a second instance". All I want is two separate Opera browsers open at the same time but can't figure out how to do it. Windows was quite happy to let me have one of them in a different file from which I could start it as well as one on the desktop but I don't know how to do that in Zorin...although I'm not the brightest button on the blazer as far as new technology is concerned - my working career started in electromechanical telephone exchanges :)

madvinegar

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58:59 am

If you left-click again on the opera icon, it should open a sencond instance. At least this is what happens with chrome.

But you have to go through the menu Applications>internet>opera (or chrome).

Wolfman

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:41:44 am

Hi Baz,

the easy way, open Opera, go to file (top left button whatever it says!) > select open new window > done!!. (this is known as a second instance!!)

Baz P

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:32:41 pm

madvinegar wrote:If you left-click again on the opera icon, it should open a sencond instance. At least this is what happens with chrome.

That's the only place I start Opera from "Applications>internet>opera" - should there be another (default) location?

Baz P

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34:26 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Baz,

the easy way, open Opera, go to file (top left button whatever it says!) > select open new window > done!!. (this is known as a second instance!!)

That only opens a new window with all the same bookmarks, etc as the original. I don't want them all in the same place.

madvinegar

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:02:08 pm

Baz P wrote:
madvinegar wrote:If you left-click again on the opera icon, it should open a sencond instance. At least this is what happens with chrome.

That's the only place I start Opera from "Applications>internet>opera" - should there be another (default) location?

I just wanted to make sure that you did not start opera through a shortcut on the panel bar etc.

Can I suggest something else? Since you need two completely separate browsers, why don't you use opera and chrome?