This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Screensaver issue...

erko

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12:12 pm

Hi Folks!

I realize that this is a minor issue but, in trying to have Screensaver automate...

When I check box - 'Activate Screensaver When Computer is Idle (after 5 minutes)' the screen will, after 5 minutes, start to dim but then will consistently recover w/o going into Screensaver mode.

However, if I check both the above indcated box and the 'Lock Screen When Computer is Idle' box then the Screensaver will activate. Of course, to get out of the Screensaver mode I must then enter my password.

Power Management Preferences, for AC Power, is set at: 'Never,' 'Suspend' & 'Never.'

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much, in advance!

~erko

madvinegar

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:59:48 pm

I have the same problem. I could not get the screensaver to work. The screen starts to dim for a second and then, instead of the screensaver I get back to my desktop.
I believe it must be somekind of bug.

If this is the case you have two options.
Either do not use a screensaver (like I did). After 10 minutes I set the screen to go to sleep.

or

You can replace gnome screensaver with xscreensaver. I have tried it and it works just fine.
Follow the instructions set out in the last two posts of this thread viewtopic.php?t=79&f=10

erko

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:02:21 pm

Hi "madvinegar!"

Inasmuch as I am not intimidated by the Terminal, I did input the script that "Oz" alluded to. All went well but the end result was the same - status quo! Issue remains.

I didn't get into the suggestion by "Billy."

So, as you suggested . . .
"If this is the case you have two options.
Either do not use a screensaver (like I did). After 10 minutes I set the screen to go to sleep."

I extended it out to 30 minutes before "sleep."

So, how do I leave this issue for purposes of the forum? I mean, it apparently is an actual 'bug' in Zorin v/5. I probably shouldn't mark it "SOLVED," right?!

BTW, thank you so much, again, for your help! :)

~erko

madvinegar

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:03:28 am

It's very strange that xscreensaver did not work for you. It was working like a charm for me...
Anyway, since you followed the "madvinegar screensaver" solution :lol: , all is well now, till the next release of Zorin (Zorin 6) which I hope will resolve all these issues...

erko

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39:55 am

Hi "madvinegar!"

Re: the "xscreensaver" resolve, whan I get a chance, I'll re-run the terminal script once more. Maybe I messed-up somewhere along the way. Though, as I recall, the Terminal response to the inputed lines of script seemed favorable?!

Once again, thank you so much for your time, effort and patience! :)

~erko

erko

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:22:53 am

Hi "madvinegar!"

Very long story - short, I got it ("xscreensaver") working!

Now, how do I get . . .

rss-glx is a GLX port of the Really Slick Screensavers collection by
Terry Welsh (http://www.reallyslick.com/). Also included are several
other OpenGL screensavers ported from other platforms.

The screensavers can either be run as stand-alone applications or get
integrated into XScreenSaver's list of active screensavers. More
information about using these with xscreensaver can be found in
/usr/share/doc/rss-glx.

Screensavers included in this package are: Biof, Busy Spheres,
Colorfire, Cyclone, Drempels, Euphoria, Feedback, Fieldlines, Flocks, Flux,
Helios, Hufo's Smoke, Hufo's Tunnel, Hyperspace, Lattice, Lorenz Attractor,
MatrixView, Plasma, Pixel City, Skyrocket, Solarwinds, SpirographX, and
Sundancer2.

. . . integrated into my xscreensaver program??? It is available in Synaptic.

I can't figure out how to accomplish it.

Thank you so much for any and all help, in advance.

~erko

madvinegar

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25:47 am

I have not tried it, but I suspect that you must do the following:

Go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/rssavers/ and download the rssavers-0.2.src.tar.gz file.
Then, go to the file (usually in you downloads folder) right-click on it and select "extract here":

Open terminal and navigate to the extracted file, i.e. to:

Code:
cd /home/your name/Downloads/rssavers-0.2

and then run the following:

Code:
./configure
make
make install

This is the usual way. As I said I have not tried it.
Why don't you navigate to /usr/share/doc/rss-glx as it says that in there you may find a file with more info on how to use these extra screensavers?

erko

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26:42 pm

Hi "madvinegar!"

I was able to get through the first part of the script you provided, but I was frankly stumped by the second part...

-------------------------

CODE: SELECT ALL
./configure
make
make install

-------------------------

I had been in...

"/usr/share/doc/rss-glx"

...at length before I posted for help.

Here is what I found, but I have no idea what to do with it...

------------------------------

Manually add the following lines after the line that starts with "programs:"
in ~/.xscreensaver.

-- Cut Here --
GL: "Cyclone" cyclone --root \n\
GL: "Euphoria" euphoria --root \n\
GL: "Fieldlines" fieldlines --root \n\
GL: "Flocks" flocks --root \n\
GL: "Flux" flux --root \n\
GL: "Helios" helios --root \n\
GL: "Hyperspace" hyperspace --root \n\
GL: "Lattice" lattice --root \n\
GL: "Plasma" plasma --root \n\
GL: "Skyrocket" skyrocket --root \n\
GL: "Solarwinds" solarwinds --root \n\
GL: "Colorfire" colorfire --root \n\
GL: "Hufo's Smoke" hufo_smoke --root \n\
GL: "Hufo's Tunnel" hufo_tunnel --root \n\
GL: "Sundancer2" sundancer2 --root \n\
GL: "BioF" biof --root \n\
GL: "BusySpheres" busyspheres --root \n\
GL: "SpirographX" spirographx --root \n\
GL: "MatrixView" matrixview --root \n\
GL: "Lorenz" lorenz --root \n\
GL: "Drempels" drempels --root \n\
GL: "Feedback" feedback --root \n\
GL: "Pixel City" pixelcity --root \n\
-- End Here --

---------------------------------------

So, to be perfectly honest about it - it, at this point, is all as clear as mud! :(

Thanks, again in advance, for whatever help you can provide!

~erko

madvinegar

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51:52 pm

Ok try this.

Go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsxs/fi ... m/download and download the binary package.

Then navigate to your downloads folder, find the rsxs-1.0-1.fc9.i386.rpm, right-click to it and select "extract here".

Then open terminal and write the following:

Code:
cd /home/your name/Downloads/usr/share/doc/rsxs-1.0/

and then write (again)

Code:
./configure
make
make install

and hopefully this time the extra screensavers will be installed.
Reboot - or run in terminal
Code:
xscreensaver-command -restart
so as to make the new screensavers appear in xscreensaver.

erko

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18:16 pm

Hi "madvinegar!"

CLARIFICATION PLEASE!!!

Is this actually exactly how I'd input this portion of script into the terminal...

--------------------------------------------

./configure
make
make install

-------------------------------------------

...because I don't understand that!? When I try different combinations of it in the terminal, it (terminal) doesn't recognize a file.

Thank you so much, again, for your help! :)

~erko

erko

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48:53 pm

Hi "madvinegar!"

We're close! But, not quite close enough! I think everything that needs to be available in my file system is there but, we or I are not using the correct combination to launch it. I know full well I'm not fully grasping this! Very frustrating! I'm gonna' take a break! ;)

Thanks!

~erko

erko

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52:18 pm

Hi "swarfendor437!"

I didn't mean to slight you. Sorry! I'm just a little frustrated is all! :cry:

Thanks!

~erko

madvinegar

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:14:16 am

erko wrote:Hi "madvinegar!"

CLARIFICATION PLEASE!!!

Is this actually exactly how I'd input this portion of script into the terminal...

--------------------------------------------

./configure
make
make install

-------------------------------------------

...because I don't understand that!? When I try different combinations of it in the terminal, it (terminal) doesn't recognize a file.

Thank you so much, again, for your help! :)

~erko

Yes this is how you would input it. But, of course, you hit <enter> after each line.

i.e.

./configure <enter>
make <enter>
make install <enter>

What is the problem you are facing?
Do you get any errors after inputing the lines and hiting <enter>? You may need to log in as root in terminal. Do you know how to do that?

erko

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:26:56 pm

Hi Madvinegar!

Okay, here is how I resolved this issue. It actually came as a bi-product from a "drastic" action on my part.

I like Zorin! I kike it so much that I purchased (under $15.00 USC) Zorin OS 5.2 Ultimate, and replaced the core free version of Zorin.

After getting the important stuff updated, on the 2nd day I looked at Ultmate's gnome screensaver. It is literally PACKED with different screensavers! "Skyrocket" is not one of them.

I went into Ultimate's 'Software Center." There I searched for "Skyrocket." That brings-up "Really Slick Screensavers," of which "Skyrocket is one of them. I loaded it for the (check box) gnome screen saver and did a rss-glx_install via the terminal.

"Skyrocket" showed-up in the menu. To make a long story short, some of the same earlier funky symptoms materialized. I opted for the xscreensaver...

...now when you switch-over to xscreensaver, from gnome, you loose the bulk of those aforementioned screensavers.

I uninstalled the "Really Slick Screensavers" and went through the configuration process (mentioned in an earlier link) to install xscreensaver.

When it was installed I noticed that the numbers of given screensavers were sparse as compared to the numbers of Ultimate's gnome screensavers. That okay. If I use any at all, it's usually always only the same one or two, anyway.

Then I reloaded "Really Slick Screensavers" via "Software Center" and the xscreensaver box was already checked. I then entered "rss-glx_install" into the terminal, as directed, and bingo - "Skyrocket" was there, among others, and it works just fine.

No, I didn't buy Zorin for this purpose! Ultimate is twice+ the size of Core and I'm finding a lot of "good stuff!" :)

Thanks a bunch, once more, for all help from you and everyone else!

~erko