This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to Encrypt home folder?

ThiefPL

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:29:55 pm

Can anyone point my to any tutorial that will show me how to encrypt home folder in zorin? I didn't do it during the installation because the installer would crash every time I checked the box "Encrypt my home folder"

Wolfman

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:18:26 am

Hi,

you can try this:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/encrypt-ho ... ion-linux/

Regards Wolfman :D

IzayoiAki

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51:59 am

I agree with swarfendor437. Encrypting the home directory entirely is not a good idea. However, if you want to (or must) encrypt certain directories within the home directory, I would suggest you take a look at TrueCrypt. It creates a crypt file which is then mounted as a volume. You can save into that volume as you do anything else, and it is encrypted on the fly into the crypt file. You can put this file anywhere you like (where you have access), so if you lose the home directory, and the encrypted file is not within your /home area, you haven't lost it. It's also easy to put the mounting/unmounting into shell scripts. I use it to encrypt my rsnapshot runs on my external USB drive. I also have it encrypting my main files from my home directory into a 15GB crypt volume.

casper06067

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:05:57 am

Hello,

I have just the opposite problem. I encrypted the Home folder during the installation and now find it an annoyance. My question is, is there a simple way to remove encryption? Or, is it possible to re-install Zorin 8 32-bit from my install DVD and overwrite the whole install? Since I have only just installed it, I don't care if everything is overwritten. I just want a simple way to remove the encryption. Additionally, is it necessary also have a password. That was also something I did during installation. If I could get by without it, I'd just as soon not have it.

Any assistance would be wonderful!

Thanks,

-Casper

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:59:43 am

Casper this is a double-post - I have answered your question! Please refrain from double-posting as we have a lot of work to cover - repeat double posting can lead to a temporary suspension of members accounts! ;)