This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Why no effects ?

tech27

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:49:21 am

Hello I'm using 'Zorin OS 5.2 Core' in my PC and everytime I add effects its doesn't working. for example the wobbly windows I checked it in Compizconfig but nothings happened . why is that so ???

madvinegar

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:23:00 am

First of all you graphics card needs to support 3D effects.
If it does, you need to enable them.

Follow this sequence:
- Fully update/upgrade your system. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617
- Go to control center>additional drivers to check if there is a recomended available driver to be enabled for your graphics card, and if yes, enable it.

Do the above, and if you still don't get the effects, open terminal and post the outcome of
Code:
lspci

so as to see if your graphics card supports 3d effects and if we can find the latest drivers.

tech27

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:48:53 am

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah thanks it starts working now my GPU is Nvidia, but I have one question why is that when I use the effects for example the wobbly windows effect and when moving a window the edges of it is seems to rough , like rough edge do I need to tweak something to have a better quality effect, like the edges of the window is somewhat pixelate when moving it using wobbly window effect.

tech27

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:34:39 am

What is the name of the effect on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHCDU-CU ... r_embedded at time 2:21 and 2:47 the minimize thing effect, what's that called ?

madvinegar

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57:10 am

Regarding the rough edges, you may need the latest drivers for your card. Have you activated the recommended driver from additional drivers? Was it only one recomended driver? Post the outcome of "lspci" (without the quotes) just to check exact model. Even though I do not recomend to change the driver since you have enabled the recommended one and it seems to be working.
-----

The minimize effect is called "magic lamp".

Go to control center>simple compiz/config settings manager and in the 2nd tab (animations) you will see the various effects for opening and closing windows.
Go to the closing windows options and choose "magic lamp" (or experiment with all the options to see if you will find something that you like best). Personally I have selected "burn" when closing a window which is great!

tech27

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:36:12 am

Regarding the rough edges, you may need the latest drivers for your card. Have you activated the recommended driver from additional drivers? Was it only one recomended driver? Post the outcome of "lspci" (without the quotes) just to check exact model. Even though I do not recomend to change the driver since you have enabled the recommended one and it seems to be working.

Yeah I already activated the 'Recommended driver from Additional driver" which mine is Nvidia and its colored green when I choose to activate, but one thing that bugs my mind is that, in the additional driver it says that the Recommend driver is activated but in the bottom left corner it says 'not in use' even though I activated it already :(

saramay

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10:19 am

You may go to have a look at the introduction or you may reinstall it and run it again!