This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Are We There Yet

OZZIE

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:30:35 pm

Once upon a time a very long time ago (well, last Friday actually), I came upon a very interesting operating system called 'ZORIN',

I thought yes yes yes at last something which looks good and easy to use but to my disappointment after 4/5 days of trying everything OUT and just about getting everything to my liking,

Today I have come to my wits end as it is now decided to take between seven and 8 min from the Grub screen to boot and 5 to 6 min on a reboot.

After several attempts to rectify this i.e. running recovery console etc etc disabling the the Nvidia drivers i am no further forward. its got to the stage where I'm going to

reinstall (fresh) and if I get no joy.... Well, well, looks like my fairytale wil be over and I will have to go back to wicked Windows.!!!!!

I intend to wait for about 24 hours before i abandon it to see if anybody can come up with any suggestions as to how i may resolve this problem,,,

DARN IT i was really liking this OS but I cannot use something that is taking so long to boot.

is it my computer ?? here are the specs if anyone intrested

intel(r) pentium dual cpu E2220 @2.4ghz

1 tb hdd (preformated before install)

3 gb memory

nvidea graphics

CM18738-MC6 audio card

20gb highspeed broadband

Here's hoping there is a solution..i waana get away from "7"

(if you find it quicker or easier to talk drop into my site and talk in the shoubox i have made a temp account for 24hours for anyone to help

http://www.ozzies-place.net

username account closed

p/w account closed

Wolfman

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32:50 pm

Hi Ozzie,

sorry to hear of your problem, have you checked this out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia

I assume you did the :

sudo dpkg --configure -a

command and it didn't help you!!.

Let us know what other steps you took and maybe we can backtrack!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

OZZIE

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36:09 pm

i have tried all those wolf.....i am currently trying other options like disabling my raid etc in bois it gave me a bit faster boot but now i cannot see my disc drives as the are part off the j-mircon pata drivers i have benn to their site and the got linux compatible drivers but ffs i dont know whats what lol they got source kernal etc etc jeeze i new to all this they lost me

Wolfman

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39:53 pm

Hi Ozzie,

try these 2 commands

sudo apt-get update

and:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

In a terminal and then reboot afterwards!!.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:45:36 pm

Also, do this exactly as my settings are in the pics provided and then then do an update again and a restart!!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

OZZIE

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:07:13 pm

i had previously run those commands but i ran them again as i have now disabled my raid in bios ...i have gained a bit its only taking 5 mins now :D

it gotta be these j-mircon drivers so i will download all at their site and see which ones let me try and install them ..........then again maybe not i may cause more grief :lol: will plod on

madvinegar

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37:11 pm

There must be something wrong with you pc's hardware.
7 or 8 minutes to boot ???? This is crazy. I am surprised that you actually waited 8 minutes to see if the PC will boot.

I had a similar problem with one of my old laptops and the problem was the hard disk. It was damaged.
I replaced the hard disk and now zorin boots in 15 seconds.

If there is nothing extremely wrong with the way you downloaded the iso and burned it into a DVD, my suggestions is to check your PC's hardware.

hazzbar

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:56:54 pm

G'day mate, sorry to hear your troubles.
I to had similar problems and via another OS I ran the 'Boot-repair' program as there seemed to be a conflict at/when boot-loading.

Have no idea if this will help you......along with all the other ideas you have been given.......just hoping.

regards
Hazz

Wolfman

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13:40 am

Hi Ozzie,

another thought on this matter (after a long think) is that if you installed the Raid drivers AFTER you installed the OS; you would get a problem with the hardware drivers in the OS because they were set to the previous configuration of the hardware!!.

Maybe a BIOS reset or a complete new installation of the OS would solve the problem!!. In any case, an update of the hardware drivers within the OS is a must!!.

OZZIE

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:58:40 am

hey fingers crossed. I have actually got it down to 45 seconds from grub to boot.

After messing about with all the Raid drivers etc etc which are pre-installed in the BIOS by the way, and if I disable them. The system did not recognise the CD, DVD player.

you would not believe what solved the problem, it was a totally trivial.thing and a I never even gave consideration to, What I hear you ask, I just reset the boot order back to HDD first rather the CD and believe it or not anything working fine... ATM,(dont know why it worked but who cares it does ) :lol: :lol: thanks for your help and I'm sure I will a more problems before long

madvinegar

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34:42 pm

Glad you got it working!