This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Embedded flash video freeze in firefox

ilikethisos

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:25:46 pm

As the topic says, I am using Firefox for my web browser. I have had the problem of having the entire os freeze when watching Youtube flash videos that are embedded on a webpage besides Youtube. This issue does not seem to happen when I watch the videos on Youtube directly (right click the video and choose "Watch on Youtube"). The freeze will happen, and I don't have control of my mouse all of a sudden. Then, if I hit two keys on the keyboard-the numlock light will disappear-indicating that I have lost control of the keyboard. This is repeatable, I can do it over and over. The only way to fix this freeze is to do a hard reset, and I've lost some very important documents in the process of having this issue. I am using Zorin OS 5.2 64 bit. I love the OS, but I will not be able to continue using it if I continue to have these problems. On the other hand, if this issue could be resolved I plan on purchasing a premium supported version of the OS. Other than this issue, it seems to be extremely stable.

Here are the specs of my system:

AMD 1090t CPU, all cores @ 4.0 GHZ
8 GB GSKILL DDR3 1333 MHZ (2 4 GB DIMMS)
NVIDIA GTX 275 GPU, with the drivers provided by NVIDIA version 270.41.06
Gigabyte Motherboard, not sure which model-but it has AC'97 Integrated Audio
Firefox 11.0 for Ubuntu
Flash Version: 11.2.202.233ubuntu0.11.04.2

If there's a way to fix this issue, it would be greatly appreciated!

ilikethisos

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:01:08 am

Thanks for the reply. Actually flash is working in Firefox for me, just when I try to watch embedded flash videos the system totally freezes. Maybe it's a bug in Flash? Not sure. For now, I can just right click the video to choose "watch on youtube." That doesn't always work though, so if that fails I can copy the video url-most times.

madvinegar

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:20:29 am

Hi!
You can follow the guide in the link of swarf and after you get it shorted out, open firefox and in the address bar write: about:plugins

The plugins page will open from which you can verify if actually the shockwave flash player is actually installed and enabled.
Does this problem happen only with firefox? Have you tried with chrome?

ilikethisos

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:51:02 pm

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl

I will try following the guide you mentioned, and the reply is much appreciated! Above is what it says for my flash section on about:plugins. I'm guessing it may not be installed correctly. Thanks for the support.

ilikethisos

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:20:38 am

Ok it looked like it was already installed, but it was using a link in Mozilla's plugins to a file called flashplugin-alternative.so. I followed the instructions from Madvinegar and pointed firefox to flashplugin.so. Now I will try to watch a flash video embedded. I will report back.

ilikethisos

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22:44 am

Thanks, it's fixed!!!

madvinegar

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07:33 am

Great !!!!!
Glad I helped my friend !!! I will mark your topic as solved.

Swarf... you know the drill... :D