This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Running Windows Apps!..

VcDeveloper

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:39:53 am

I Just purchase the 64 bit Zorin OS 5 Ultimate and currently I'm running a trial version of Windows 7 and I have all my development software installed. Like MS Expression, Torque 3D, MS Visual Studio 2008, SwishMax2, ModTool and other stuff for game and media development. Will I be able to run all this because I want to get rid of MS OS period and Just use my Windows Vista Ultimate (License version) in a VBox VM?

Thanks!

Just to make sure you understand my goals, I'm a game and multimedia developer and that is what I want to do with this OS.

VcDeveloper

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:07:18 pm

I just found this feature "PlayOnLinux" and need to know if it will run the software I mention above or do I have to run a dual both menu?

rscott4581

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:19:20 pm

Run a dual boot, if Linux could run all windows software it would have already taken over the market. Although you may get some Windows applications to run in Linux with Wine, most will not.

VcDeveloper

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:48:01 pm

Ok, thanks for your reply! :)

Wolfman

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:25:57 pm

I like playing games too; but Linux is reknowned for not running them all, even if your game is listed in the "runs on Linux" list, you may still have problems with things like shaders and directx versions under Linux. As the lads have said, dual boot is the safer bet, you then have the best of both worlds!!.

Regards Wolfman

VcDeveloper

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm about to install and need direction for dual booting W/Win 7. I saw a Ubuntu 9 example, but want to be sure if I can follow the same directions with 7. It was by the youtube channel of thisweekinlinux " Linux Part 4".

VcDeveloper

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:12:58 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Why don't you watch my 3 parter? starting with Part 1 here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/swarfendor4 ... Rimk8-UGvw

Kewl! Going there now and will be back after install.....

VcDeveloper

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:53:09 pm

Zorin is reporting there's no OS? I'm running Win 7 Interprise 90 Day Trial...

zorink

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:34:51 am

The downloadable fix is available here: http://zoringroup.com/blog/2011/06/17/z ... t-bug-fix/

VcDeveloper

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:45:09 pm

Will a new relase .iso be sent to my email address or where can I download the new build?

VcDeveloper

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:06:41 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi VcDeveloper,
- have you tried the fix first? :

Had a total disaster :cry: I didn't wait for a response and just installed it anyway, but here's where the disaster happen. Instead of installing on the Win7 HD I installed on my back-up drive. This was my fault because the way I had things installed and booting. I had sda1 as my backup HD. This ended up like this because my server board went out and in the process of moving HD's around. So on my development computer I changed the Bio's to boot from sda2. :cry:

swarfendor437 wrote:Don't know if this is a bona fide torrent site but this came up in a Google search for 5 premium torrent:

http://conysoft2.org/09/zorin+os+5+ulti ... orent.html

I'll just run the fix on it when I redo everything all over again or I may just build another cpu for Windows.