This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

IBM Thinkpad R50e

paul97

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:42:54 pm

Hi

Have installed Zorin lite and am pleased with the system so far, I have installed it on an old Laptop as above, but I have a number of buttons which don't appear to work.
The "print screen" & back space button.

Also read you were ablt to change the look to look like windows 7 etc, but I can only change it to look like XP

Any advice please.

Cheers

Paul

Wolfman

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:21:18 pm

Hi Paul,

have you downloaded all the updates??.

See here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852

Regards Wolfman :D

paul97

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:38:21 am

Thanks Wolfman, will take a look later in the week.

Cheers

Paul

madvinegar

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:46:17 am

Try also this.
Go to system>administration>synaptics package manager and mark for installation (and install) the following package:

"tpb" (program to use the IBM ThinkPad(tm) special keys).

Also, I think Zorin 5 lite does not have an option for win7 look. Only win2000 and MacOS looks.
I do not know about Zorin 6 lite as I have not tried it.

Nevertheless, if your laptop can handle it, it is better to install the full versions as they are more "complete" and usually you do not face problems like that.
You can boot a live CD of the core version and test if the laptop behaves nicely and also if the buttons (backspace and prtsc) work.

paul97

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:09:41 am

madvinegar wrote:Try also this.
Go to system>administration>synaptics package manager and mark for installation (and install) the following package:

"tpb" (program to use the IBM ThinkPad(tm) special keys).

Also, I think Zorin 5 lite does not have an option for win7 look. Only win2000 and MacOS looks.
I do not know about Zorin 6 lite as I have not tried it.

Nevertheless, if your laptop can handle it, it is better to install the full versions as they are more "complete" and usually you do not face problems like that.
You can boot a live CD of the core version and test if the laptop behaves nicely and also if the buttons (backspace and prtsc) work.

Many thanks for your advice, if I were to install the full version would I have to remove the lite version 1st or can I just put the disc in my drive & boot up.

Thank You

Paul

madvinegar

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31:20 am

If you want to install the core version you will have to perform a new clean installation from the begining. I.e. you cannot update from lite to core.
But, before doing so, if you want just to test if the core edition works well with your laptop, you can download the 5.2 core iso, burn it to a DVD and then boot the live session of this DVD (option 1 at boot menu). i.e. you don't have to erase the lite edition just to test the core edition.
You can then check if all is well, if all buttons work etc. and if all is actually good, you can then decide whether you would like to proceed with full installation of the core edition.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20:00 pm

Hi,

Zorin 6 full version will be available soon based on ubuntu 12.04 so you might just want to wait for that. I reckon sometie in May!!.

paul97

Sun May 06, 2012 9:13:10 am

Have managed to get the screen print button working, thanks for everyones help, can I ask how you can reduce the size of the desktop icons please.

cheers

Paul

paul97

Sun May 06, 2012 4:42:14 pm

Cheers for that, worked fine.

Wolfman

Mon May 07, 2012 6:14:42 am

Hi,

Open gconf-editor, navigate to apps > nautilus > desktop > icon_view and set it to 'small'. This will do all desktop icons in one hit!!.

Press Alt + F2 and type "gconf-editor" to start the editor.