This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] NO Panels on desktop

Anonymous

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:20:54 am

Hey,
I have two monitors on my desktop. I just hooked up the second one. Turned on the computer and now I have no panels displaying. On either monitor. NOTHING is displayed on the desktop, and I have no access to programs nor can I change anything. If I right click on the desktop, nothing happens. Does anyone know what happened and how I can fix it. On boot up, at the GRUB menu, I have gone into the repair mode but it doesn't help. . I have clicked on every available option. but nothing helps. Can you tell me what I have to do to get my panels back. You can contact me at sphincter_muscle@msn.com. Thanks for any help. I have had to go back to using Windows 7. I really like Zorin and since I bought the Ultimate package I have used it 99% of the time.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:46:02 am

Hi,

open a command line with Alt + F2 and type "killall gnome-panel" and this should immediately restart the panels. If for some unknown reason it doesn’t restart, you can just type "gnome-panel" into the run box.

Try also Alt +F2 "gnome-control-center" and look at your display (monitor) settings!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Anonymous

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:21:13 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

open a command line with Alt + F2 and type "killall gnome-panel" and this should immediately restart the panels. If for some unknown reason it doesn’t restart, you can just type "gnome-panel" into the run box.

Try also Alt +F2 "gnome-control-center" and look at your display (monitor) settings!!.

Thanks. This works on my laptops (justed test it) but it doesn't work on the esktop that has the problem. ALT-F2 does nothing. CTRL/ALT F2 opens the command line. if I run killall gnome-panel, it does nothing. I have found that if I start the computer in repair mode and then the low graphics setting, one monitor does display the desktop with the panels, but the other monitor is blank. If I go to the control center and check monitor status, the second monitor doesn't show. I have tried changing the additional driver setting to the recommended driver setting. This does not help either. I don't know what the problem is. I like Zorin too. Pity this happened.

madvinegar

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:41:55 pm

Since the ctrl+alt+F2 is working, do it and when you log-in to the tty (terminal session) plug an ethernet cable to get internet and write:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Reboot and see if that helped.

Anonymous

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37:25 am

Hi again,

Excuse my terminology. I'm new to Linux. I guess you would call what I am referring to as "panels" would be the "task-bar" in Windows. I have, or had my desktop setup with the gnome taskbars. One at top of the screen, and one at the bottom of the screen. I did what you said in your second post and this is the response I got back:

root@Daniels-Desktop:/home/daniel# apt-get install gnome-panel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gnome-panel is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@Daniels-Desktop:/home/daniel#

I appreciate your help.

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi DLEschbach, just for clarity - when you are talking about panels, do you mean your TFT Displays (you state you have two) or the 'Desktop 'panel'' that Wolfman and madvinegar are talking about?

Anonymous

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:26:21 am

DLEschbach wrote:Hi again,

Excuse my terminology. I'm new to Linux. I guess you would call what I am referring to as "panels" would be the "task-bar" in Windows. I have, or had my desktop setup with the gnome taskbars. One at top of the screen, and one at the bottom of the screen. I did what you said in your second post and this is the response I got back:

root@Daniels-Desktop:/home/daniel# apt-get install gnome-panel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gnome-panel is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@Daniels-Desktop:/home/daniel#

I had this problem before. When I switched the monitors. The "taskbar/panels" dissappeared. If I go into the repair mode one monitor works, and I see my "taskbar/panels", but this is only in low or what the repair menu says as low graphic mode. It looks the same to me. The last time I just re-installed everything. I was hoping not to have to do it again. I really like Zorin.

I appreciate your help.

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi DLEschbach, just for clarity - when you are talking about panels, do you mean your TFT Displays (you state you have two) or the 'Desktop 'panel'' that Wolfman and madvinegar are talking about?

madvinegar

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:48:31 am

Just a thought... Is there any possiblity that the resolution of the screen is wrong (when you start the dual monitor mode) and the panels are not actually missing but are out of the screen???
Try adjusting the screen from the settings of your monitor. Not from the settings of Zorin.

Anonymous

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36:42 am

Hey all,

Thanks for your helping idea's. Since my last post, I gave up trying to figure out what it was. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 over Zorin. BUT I just didn't like it. It wasn't as configurable as ZORIN, so I reformatted the partition and did a clean install of ZORIN. It looks just like it did before this fiasco. I really don't know what happened.I have it dual boot here with Windows 7. In windows it displayed the way it should, on BOTH monitors, and at the correct resolutions.I don't know what the problem was with ZORIN, but it is resolved now. That is another thing I like about Linux. It seems to install much faster than Windows. About half the time it would have taken with a fresh install on Windows. I am still impressed with ZORIN. It is the firts Linux that I haven't had major problems with out of the box. AND this problem was created by me, I think, in the first place. I just wish there was an app to restore everything to the default condition the OS was in when it was initially installed. Maybe someone reading this can build the app. I'm just glad to have my Zorin-OS Linux up and running again.

madvinegar wrote:Just a thought... Is there any possiblity that the resolution of the screen is wrong (when you start the dual monitor mode) and the panels are not actually missing but are out of the screen???
Try adjusting the screen from the settings of your monitor. Not from the settings of Zorin.

madvinegar

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04:44 am

I agree with you. I tried yesterday ubuntu 12.04. I did not like it. It is not as configurable as zorin and a whole lot of apps are missing that you have to install yourself.
With zorin, you do the installation, which is indeed very fast, and everything you need (and a lot more) is already there!

As I keep saying, Zorin is ubuntu as it should be...
I hope the devs keep the new release (zorin6) as good as the present one.

Anonymous

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:59:30 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for this little tid bit of info. After I did a complete new re-install, I solved my initial problem, re, the taskbar/panels were gone. This last boot on the right side where the clock/calendar/network icons are, they were "corrupted, or not showing. I tried this technique of yours at the command line and... viola... everything started up as it should be.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:07:41 pm

This occured to me too. It was one of the first things I did. Both are set at the max res. the one that wasnt showing is at 1280x1024, and the other is 1024x768. I adjusted both down to 640x480 and rebooted. did nothing. only one screen was working. looked like a Tandy Color Computer screen/comodore 64 screen. But I got it fixed now. All my data is on an external drive so I didn't lose anything. I just re-installed everything from scratch. I wish I could figure out what happened, so I would know what NOT to do to prevent this from happening again.

Respectfully,
Daniel
madvinegar wrote:Just a thought... Is there any possiblity that the resolution of the screen is wrong (when you start the dual monitor mode) and the panels are not actually missing but are out of the screen???

Anonymous

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:10:31 pm

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
As I keep saying, Zorin is ubuntu as it should be...
I hope the devs keep the new release (zorin6) as good as the present one.[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wolfman

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:34:17 am

Hi,

can we (you); mark this as solved??.

Anonymous

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:59:07 am

can we (you); mark this as solved??.

Wolfman I would sir, if I knew how. LOL