This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Ellie01

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53:32 pm

Hi all

Can someone please help me. I bought a new Toshiba Satellite C660-S268 laptop and I found that I do not have the graphics capabilities as one would expect, revering to the wobbly windows effects and/or the cube effects etc. All these effects are activated but I am unable to use it. I assume it is a graphics driver problem and also assume that the driver is not installed. I must mention that I am running the 32bit version (Zorin-OS 5.2) at this point in time and will soon install the 64bit version of Zorin-OS 5.2. I googled for the driver for linux/zorin and came upon this link, http://intellinuxgraphics.org/, the intel linux link but I am not sure whether this is actual drivers (in which case I want to know which one I should download) or source files etc to wright your own driver with. All I want is the graphics driver for zorin for my laptop, I am unable to write my own.

Please help a newly born Zorin addict, I want windows out of my front door thank you. . . . :D :D :D :D

Thanks!!

madvinegar

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15:38 pm

Hi!
I have the same GPU and your problem has been discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1892

The bottom line is that you will have to wait for zorin6 which is based on ubuntu 12.04 and gnome3 so as your GPU's capabilities to be used properly.

Intel HD3000 is a new type of GPU which cooperates directly with the CPU. And as it seems it cannot unfold her true grace with ubuntu 11.04 and gnome2. You don't only have to install the correct drivers (if needed) but you also need the latest kernel so as the drivers to fully work.

I am writing this post using the live CD of ubuntu 12.04 beta2 and I can happily tell you that the unity 3D is enabled by default (even in the live CD). This, I suppose is a very good sign.
In order to double check that the 3D effects are actually working with gnome 3, tomorrow I will create a live USB with ubuntu 12.04 and I will install compiz settings manager to test the cube and wobbly windows etc.

Trust this is helpful. The final release of ubuntu 12.04 is expected in 3 days, so I hope that zorin 6 will not take too long after that.

madvinegar

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57:36 pm

Check out my last post here!!!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1892&start=20