This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Audio Problem

novice

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07:00 pm

Hello everyone!

I have the following problem: I don't hear any sound when I play audio CDs or watch videos on the Internet.

I've got Zorin OS 3.2 (Long Term Support release) on my hard disk drive. Windows 7 is installed on the same hard disk drive. The audio works perfectly when I use Windows 7.

The audio output device is connected via HDMI. The AlsaMixer volume controls Master and PCM are turned up full. I've tried out all of the profiles in Sound Preferences => Hardware but that didn't solve my problem.

Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfcef8000 irq 22
1 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xfebfc000 irq 16

Code:
lspci | grep -i audio

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
04:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

Code:
head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*

Codec: Realtek ALC888

madvinegar

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22:58 pm

Hi! First open i.e. youtube and select a video to play. When the video will start, go to sound preferences, last tab that says "applications" and make sure the bar is set to maximum.

Secondly I would suggest to you to download pulse audio volume control (pavu) from ubuntu software center and from the configuration tab choose the HDMI digital output.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:14:03 pm

Hi,

install the packages:

libsox-fmt-all

and:

paman

This should get it working, use the Pulse Audio Manager (paman) frontend (GUI) to make sure your settings are okay, especially input and output!!.

regards Wolfman

novice

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:08:55 pm

Thanks for your replies!

First open i.e. youtube and select a video to play. When the video will start, go to sound preferences, last tab that says "applications" and make sure the bar is set to maximum.

Secondly I would suggest to you to download pulse audio volume control (pavu) from ubuntu software center and from the configuration tab choose the HDMI digital output.

The bar in Sound Preferences => Applications is set to maximum.

I've installed pavu. There is no "HDMI digital output" in the configuration tab.

I can only choose between the following profiles:

Analog Stereo Duplex
Analog Stereo Output
Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input
Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958)
Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
Analog Surround 4.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
Analog Surround 5.1 Output
Analog Surround 4.1 Output
Analog Surround 7.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
Analog Surround 5.0 Output + Analog Stereo Input
Analog Surround 4.0 Output + Analog Stereo Input
Analog Surround 7.1 Output
Analog Surround 5.0 Output
Analog Surround 4.0 Output
Analog Stereo Input
Off

It's set to Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958) now.

install the packages:

libsox-fmt-all

and:

paman

This should get it working, use the Pulse Audio Manager (paman) frontend (GUI) to make sure your settings are okay, especially input and output!!.

I've installed the packages. How do I know if my settings are okay?

Wolfman

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46:58 pm

Hi,

you will find it in the main menu under sound and video!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

novice

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:07:54 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

you will find it in the main menu under sound and video!!.

I found out how to open the PulseAudio Manager. My problem is that I don't know what to do there. "make sure your settings are okay" is a bit too general for me. Can you give more detail please?

Wolfman

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:14:21 am

Hi,

firstly you can look here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/FAQ

Second, you must make sure that the hardware that you have is being addressed correctly by the pulse audio manager, this is where you check in the input/output windows of the manager to see whether your hardware is listed and switched on!!. What output you use is dependant on what is available in the list of hardware, you have the normal soundcard and the HDMI device!!, make sure that the slider is to the right so you have volume, most of the time the slider is on the left and therefore you will have no sound because the volume is turned down!!.

Take a look at the pics below, it will give you an idea what you should have.

VolumeControl_004.png
VolumeControl_004.png (160.16 KiB)

VolumeControl_005.png
VolumeControl_005.png (145.78 KiB)

novice

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:36:15 pm

You can see my settings in the Output Devices tab in the attached picture below.

It says "No input devices available" in the Input Devices tab but that's correct because I really haven't connected any audio input devices.

Screenshot-Volume Control.png
Screenshot-Volume Control.png (28.72 KiB)

Wolfman

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40:14 am

Hi,

have you installed the graphic card drivers???. Your HDMI input/output will only show once the drivers are installed!!.

Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers (ATI & Nvidia only)

novice

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11:37 pm

When I go to Control Center > Hardware > Hardware Drivers it says that NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended] is "activated and currently in use". However, it doesn't show any other drivers.

P.S. The HDMI audio output device still doesn't work, but at least my analog loudspeakers work now! Thank you! :)

Wolfman

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:47:54 am

Hi novice,

I also have an Nvidia card and your screenshot should look like mine!!. Why it is not showing is a bit strange!!.

try installing the package in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

and see if you can do it via the Nvida control panel!!.

Volume Control_001.jpeg
Volume Control_001.jpeg (19.32 KiB)

novice

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14:06 pm

nvidia-settings is installed, but which settings should I change?

Wolfman

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:32:33 am

Hi Novice,

go here:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-h ... ult_device

start at section 12, this has a number of useful tips. before you do that; I think you should check your software sources which should look something like mine:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

in particular updates, I have all 4 boxes ticked so you may want to try this first, we both have an Nvidia card and I think that you will get the extra files you need by doing the software sources route.

The Nvidia settings manager won't help you; I thought it may have a setting or 2 but I was wrong, sorry on that point!!.

So, change software souces and then then do a complete update of your system then restart, then check and see if you have HDMI showing in the list!!.

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get update

then:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If the 2nd option doesn't work, you can read through the Nvidia forum link!!.

novice

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28:32 pm

Hi Wolfman!

I've tried out the second option, but it didn't work.

I've read the NVIDIA instructions.

Firstly, when I try to upgrade my ALSA driver in a terminal it says:
E: Couldn't find package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-41-generic

Secondly, I apparently don't have any ELD files:

Code:
ls -F /proc/asound/card0
codec#0 id oss_mixer pcm0c/ pcm0p/ pcm1p/ pcm2c/

Code:
ls -F /proc/asound/card1

codec#0 codec#1 codec#2 codec#3 id oss_mixer

However, the instructions say that "older chipsets (ION and earlier) don’t support ELD reporting, and hence the ELD files will not exist". Have I got one of those older chipsets?

Wolfman

Tue May 01, 2012 7:16:26 am

Hi,

it might help if you change your downloads sources to "Main", you should be picking up these packages you are missing!!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

Do the above and let me know!!.

novice

Wed May 02, 2012 10:29:45 pm

It was set at "Main" when I updated (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade). However, HDMI still doesn't appear in Volume Control > Output Devices.

Wolfman

Thu May 03, 2012 5:06:20 am

novice wrote:You can see my settings in the Output Devices tab in the attached picture below.

It says "No input devices available" in the Input Devices tab but that's correct because I really haven't connected any audio input devices.

Hi Novice,

in your post; your screenshot isn't the same as mine using Pulse Audio!!, you are looking at the Pulse Audio Manager aren't you and not the normal volume control manager on the taskbar (panel). You can find it under sound and Video in the menu.

If you have your graphic card drivers installed as you say, it should show up!.

Your window should look like this:
Volume Control_001.png
Volume Control_001.png (61.76 KiB)

Let me know if you cannot find those settings in the Pulse Audio Manager because that is the important part of this puzzle!!.

novice

Fri May 04, 2012 8:25:11 pm

No, HDMI still doesn't show up in Volume Control.

Screenshot-Software Sources 1.png
Screenshot-Software Sources 1.png (50.47 KiB)

Screenshot-Software Sources 2.png
Screenshot-Software Sources 2.png (90.77 KiB)

Screenshot-Software Sources 3.png
Screenshot-Software Sources 3.png (51.44 KiB)

novice

Sat May 05, 2012 12:08:12 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi novice - that screenshot is of Update Manager settings - nothing to do with your volume control - you should see either a speaker or a volume bar on your system tray to the right - left click that and click on 'sound preferences' - those are totally the wrong screenshots. Be patient! 8-)

Hi swarfendor437!

I know that these are Software Sources screenshots. I posted them because I thought you could spot an error in the Software Sources settings. I had already posted a Volume Control screenshot beforehand. I didn't want to post the identical screenshot twice. Sorry, I should have added an explanation.

Wolfman

Sat May 05, 2012 3:04:09 pm

Hi,

your other settings for software should look like these below:
softsource2.png
softsource2.png (59.26 KiB)

softsource3.png
softsource3.png (43.83 KiB)

If you don't have your settings like mine, (or something like it) please change accordlngly and do a complete update.

novice

Mon May 07, 2012 9:21:49 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi novice, could you re-edit your screenshot posts as I can only ever see one .jpg at a time when I view the thread. Leave a space between each [inline] screenshot so I can see all of them. The first one that struck me today - your last one - was the link to 10.04 - are you running Zorin 3.2?

swarf'

I've re-edited my screenshot posts, and yes, I am running Zorin 3.2.

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

your other settings for software should look like these below:
softsource2.png

softsource3.png

If you don't have your settings like mine, (or something like it) please change accordlngly and do a complete update.

The only noteworthy difference I noticed is that "Canonical Partners", "Canonical Partners (Source Code)", "Independent" and "Independent (Source Code)" don't show up in Control Center > System > Software Sources > Other Software. I'm not sure if they need to show up there though. I also don't know how to add them.

Wolfman

Tue May 08, 2012 7:17:45 am

Ahhhhhhh!!!! Novice,

now we are getting somewhere, unfortunately Zorin 3 (Ubuntu 10.04) is no longer supported!!, you need too update to Zorin 5 or wait a few weeks for Zorin 6!!!.

I wish I had noticed/seen that at the beginning, (my fault for not seeing it; sorry!! :oops: ) we could have resolved this a lot quicker :D :D :D

Let me know what you want to do. :?:

Wolfman

Wed May 09, 2012 8:51:29 am

Sorry chaps,

I thought that supoport for Ubuntu 10.04 had already run out!!. So ignore my last comments and shoot me!!.

Wolfman

Wed May 09, 2012 5:17:19 pm

Further to my last post, I am all out of ideas and can only suggest waiting for Zorin 6 or install Zorin 5 full version!!.

Sorry I cannot be of more help but this has me beat!! :(

novice

Wed May 09, 2012 10:59:15 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi novice, Can we please start at the beginning? Please supply us with details of your machine - is it a desktop or laptop? Make and model, memory, Age of machine. Thanks.

It's a desktop.
Make and model: HP Pavilion Slimline s5150at
RAM: 5982 MB (total)

novice

Fri May 11, 2012 11:06:37 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:This is pure guess work on my part but I think you need to refer to this page:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/x ... 00748.html

based on what I found on the specs of your machine here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 31&lang=en

Now if Wolfman or madvinegar can help with how to install this?

You've made a little mistake there. It's s5150at, not s5150t.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 12&lang=en