This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Need help installing .run

wilsonmg8181

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:40:05 am

I am new to linux so a little slack. I am trying to learn linux because why not... so I thought zorin would be the easiest way to since that's what it's made for. I am trying to install Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. I went to Wolfensteins site http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/files/files.shtml and downloaded the linux version but I can't get it to install. I have tried using the Terminal but I don't think I'm doing it right. I have looked around in the forums but I'm not really finding anything on installing a .run file. Can someone just tell me how to do it please? Thanks

Wolfman

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:51:02 am

Hi,

normally you download and extract the file, then right click on the icon (assuming it only has one icon) and go to properties > permissions and mark it as "Executeable" and then double click the file and then "run".

There is nearly alway a "Readme" file included in the package once extracted!!.

Let us know what type of file it is!!. (deb, tar, rpm etc). It will tell you at the end of the file!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:52:35 am

Open terminal and navigate to the folder that you downloaded the .run file.

i.e.

Code:
cd /home/yourname/Downloads/Wolfestain
(I am just guessing - make the necessary changes).

and then execute the .run file as follows:

Code:
sudo nameoftherunfile.run

Hopefully it should bring up the installation window.

EDIT: WM I am reading in the net that the .run file for the game does not need extraction. I believe that the way to go is 1st to go to the permisions of the .run file and mark it as executable (as you very correctly suggested) and then just execute it from terminal with "sudo".

wilsonmg8181

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:19:07 am

Wolfman:
When I try to install the way you suggested I get to " The recommended install location (/usr/local/games) requires root permissions. Please enter the root password or hit enter to continue install as current user." I tried my password but it doesn't work and if I just hit enter I don't have any idea where to install because the default it gives me is usr/local/games. I have tried running the program in terminal as this is an option it gives me when I open the file to install it and it is the same.

Madvinegar:
This is copied directly from Terminal:
matthew@matthew-Inspiron-N5010:~$ cd /home/matthew/Downloads/et-linux-2.60.x86.run
bash: cd: /home/matthew/Downloads/et-linux-2.60.x86.run: Not a directory
matthew@matthew-Inspiron-N5010:~$

Wolfman

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30:07 am

Hi,

make yourself "root" with:

Press Alt + F2 and type "gksudo nautilus"

a window will open as root and you can try my way again!!. If you don't have a folder "games", create one as root before you start, don't forget that doing things as root means that often only root has access to a file or folder, be sure to check the permissions after while still root and assign more permissions if necessary!!.

See also:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/permissions

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31:47 am

Ok, one thing at a time.

1) Go to the et-linux-2.60.x86.run, right-click it, go to permissions tab and tick the box the says "allow as executable".
2) Open terminal and write
Code:
cd /home/matthew/Downloads

3) Then write
Code:
sudo et-linux-2.60.x86.run

and tell me if that worked.

Note: It is the same way as wolfmans, but through terminal. Hopefully, either way will work.

wilsonmg8181

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47:17 am

I got the game installed with wolfmans suggestion. Now I have to add an update of two executable files that in Windows I would just drag and drop and replace the already existing ones. How would I do that? I tried to just drag and drop but it said I don't have permission.

madvinegar

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57:40 am

Do it again with the "gksudo nautilus" method as wolfman suggested.

Note: Be very careful of which files you delete, move or amend when in root (gksudo nautilus).

wilsonmg8181

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:12:29 pm

Ok got it. thanks guys

madvinegar

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:32:31 pm

Could you/we mark this topic as solved?