This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Need Better AntiVirus/Support

Nugmonster

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:18:58 am

I am a new Ubuntu/Zorin user and I have been finding it extremely frustrating and difficult to get any half a** decent anti-virus installed. I am extremely unsatisfied with the CLAMAV that comes with Ubuntu.It couldn't find it's a** if it were a virus. I have tried to install several other types of anti-viruses to no avail. I have tried AVG, Bit Defender, ESET and others. I have attempted to install Linux .rpm's along with .deb's and every time I start to think I am getting somewhere, a type lib or something turns up to be missing. Now for those of you who start to say, it doesn't need it, well, I am a computer tech (mostly Micropuke) and being such I need a Linux anti-virus myself for business purposes such as cleaning Windows Hard Drives and such. I am not sure what is needed to integrate or include the type lib's or even a better AV other than Clam into the system but this is a tool I would think a lot of people would need or want just to have and I would personally like to see an upgrade of some sort myself.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37:21 am

Hi,

this is how to install Bit Defender:

Open a terminal and copy and paste (the whole line) the following:

wget http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/bd.key.asc

then:

sudo apt-key add bd.key.asc

open your sources list (Control center > Software Sources) and click on add and add (copy and paste the whole line) the following:

deb http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/ bitdefender non-free

then in a terminal again:

sudo apt-get update

close the terminal and open Synaptic and type bitdefender in search and add the packages you want; done!.

You must ask for a free license key from Bit Defender to activate it after 30 days I think!!.

Regards Wolfman :D