This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless has Stopped working

chris.zorin

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:26:07 am

Hello All,

I am new to Zorin, and unbuntu in general, but I recently installed Zorin onto my Compaq Presario F700. Initially WIFI has worked great at home. Today, I took the laptop to work to show it off - I am a pc repair tech. At the office, my computer recognized the our wireless network, yet did not detect, nor did it give me the option of WPA/WPA2, even though I use the same security at home. So, I attempted to install windows drivers, ever since, my wireless has not worked. I'd like to get things back as they were, or get a better working driver.

Help please! :)

Chris

madvinegar

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09:45 am

Hi. Please open terminal and post the results :

Code:
lspci

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Code:
dmesg | grep wireless

Code:
sudo rfkill list

madvinegar

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:21:41 am

I have made a little search and I have seen that your wireless card is BCM4311. If this is the case (we can confirm that if you post the result of "lspci") do the following to get it working:

First of all go to system>administration>windows wireless drivers and disable any windows driver you have installed (i.e. through ndiswrapper).
Then:

1) Go to system>administration>additional drivers and DE-activate the broadcom STA driver. That is, the broadcom STA driver must NOT be enabled.
2) Restart.
3) Plug an ethernet cable to get internet and open synaptics package manager.
4) Download and install the packages: "b43-fwcutter" and "firmware-b43-installer".

Hopefully you will see the blue light of your wireless working...

Please keep me advised.

revkain

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:01:15 pm

do the step as madvinegar listed and if that don't work try typing in your terminal

sudo modprobe b43

and see if that works.