This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Jumping cursor in browser

srdorothy

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32:45 am

A while back I had trouble with browsers in Ubuntu 10.04--especially in gmail, when I was composing, the cursor jumped around all over the compose page and when the mouse indicator happened to land on something outside the compose page, e.g. the format button, suddenly the compose page format changed! I believe it was when I upgraded to 11.04 that I stopped seeing this problem.

Now I am having the same problem in Zorin 5. A friend tells me it is likely graphics card-related.........but this puzzles me since, on the same laptop I have the problem in Zorin 5 but not in Ubuntu 11.04. Note that Zorin 5 and Ubuntu 11.04 are both currently running the same linux kernel version....and that I am writing this in Ubuntu with Firefox so I don't lose my mind as well as my cursor... 8^)

Any ideas about what causes this (outside of hardware) and what one might do to fix it?

thanks for any help!

Wolfman

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41:12 am

Hi,

see here:

http://radu.cotescu.com/how-to-fix-curs ... in-ubuntu/

I assume you are using the touchpad mouse!!. You could also try a USB mouse!!. I find my sleeves cause the mouse to move a lot!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

srdorothy

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:37:11 pm

Thanks, Wolfman... I actually do use a usb mouse, but I've noticed that the touchpad is also usable while the usb mouse is plugged in. Think this could be causing the problem? Anyway, I think I will try installing touchfreeze and see if that helps--I'll get back on that.

One note: it was a different computer that I had 10.04 installed on, and it's a desktop, so no touchpad. But I'll try touchfreeze with the laptop and see.