This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ATI graphics card

pobbynibbler

Wed May 02, 2012 10:45:31 am

Hi, its Ross again. A while ago before i had even considered using zorin i was trying to install windows 7 64 bit and it had massive trouble as it kept blue screening and coming up with these horrible glitchy screens with strange colors and strips of grey all across the screen and sometimes it would just go black, and i would have to restart the computer to get rid of it. I thought it was a bad windows install so i wiped it and tried zorin but the same glitchy images came up but it didnt blue screen so i figured out it was my graphics card making the horrible screens and the hdd blue screening. After our previous thread i got a new hdd and installed zorin perfectly, then installed the 'ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver' in additional drivers before putting in the graphics card. When i turned it on the display had no task bars at the top or bottom (i had both previously with the gnome setup in look changer), so i couldnt access the gnome menu or any of the programs that i didnt have on my desktop. So i fiddled around for a bit trying to fix it but couldnt find a solution and then the screen went black. so i shut it off and removed the graphics card and rebooted, however the task bar didnt come back so i looked on the forums and saw a similar problem (about using dual monitors) and tried all the suggested solutions, none of them had any effect and i saw at the end of the post he said that he reinstalled zorin and it worked fine. So i reinstalled and its fine again but the graphics card is not in.

i bought my graphics card as an overclockers uk home brand 1024MB and it came with an ATI driver disk (which i did not use) so i presumed an up to date ATI driver would work.

any suggestions?
Thanks, Ross

madvinegar

Wed May 02, 2012 11:05:13 am

It is said that Nvidia and ATI are well supported by linux. My 1st suggestion to you would be to wait for 1 month till the new release of zorin6 is out. It will be based on kernel 3.x.xx and there is pretty good chance that all of these GPU glitches will be eliminated as the GPU will cooperate much better with the new kernel.
My new laptop can be used as an example. I have an intel HD3000 GPU and in ubuntu 11.04 the 3d effects are not recognised. With ubuntu 12.04 all the 3d effects work out of the box. So, I am as well waiting for Zorin6 before proceeding to any installation.

If you still want to try to find solution to this problem in zorin5, please post the result of
Code:
lspci -nn
to see your exact model.

Wolfman

Wed May 02, 2012 2:20:27 pm

Hi Ross,

sometimes if you don't sync your update downloads with the main server, you don't get all the proper updates and this can lead to a malfunction in the system, try this how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

Update fully afterwards using:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

Regards Wolfman :D

pobbynibbler

Wed May 02, 2012 10:28:29 pm

Ahh cool, didnt know 6 was coming out, what date exactly?
and cheers wolfman, il try those and get back to you
Thanks, Ross

Wolfman

Thu May 03, 2012 5:16:36 am

Hi Ross,

I cannot tell you exactly when Z6 is coming but it won't be long!!.

Did you also try MV's suggestion to check your card??. And; did you do the update thingy??.

Regards Wolfman :D