This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Screensaver doesn't work

rmcellig

Thu May 03, 2012 4:58:50 pm

I am using Zorin 5.1 and for some reason my screensaver doesn't work anymore. Is there a way to re-enable it so it works again?

rmcellig

Thu May 03, 2012 9:31:33 pm

When I reboot into my GRUB menu, I don't see a recovery option.

rmcellig

Thu May 03, 2012 10:14:57 pm

Where is my menu.lst file located. Maybe I can post the contents of the file because I don't see safe mode either. One thing I discovered is that if I activate the Lock screen option in the screen saver, the screensaver at least works but the screen goes black instead of displaying a screensaver. Is it possible to uninstall the screensaver that comes with Zorin and then reinstall it using Synaptic Package manager?

Wolfman

Fri May 04, 2012 7:54:53 am

Hi,

when you click on screensaver in the control center, you must also click on "set as default" and enter your password, if you don't; it won't remember the settings you just made!!.

If you only have Zorin installed and no other OS, you won't see the recovery mode in the GRUB list, you must press "Esc" as soon as the PC boots in order to enter the sub menu for the recovery options!!. (You will see a small boot message in the top left of the screen and it says about pressing esc to enter the menu and you only have a few seonds to do so!.)

Regards Wolfman :D

rmcellig

Fri May 04, 2012 10:35:42 am

Thanks! If I select th screensaver option to require a password, the screensaver works properly. I was thinking of installing xscreensaver plus extras because of the beautiful screensaver modules included.

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on separate partitions. I still have issues warming up to Ubuntu 12.04. Zorin makes sense to me because I know where all the necessary and frequently used settings are located plus I can use the panels to temporarily pin items to which I love.

Wolfman

Fri May 04, 2012 11:10:29 am

Hi,

you should see Windows 7 bootloader in the list, if you don't; fully boot your PC and in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

which should refresh Grub for you!!.

Wolfman

Sun May 06, 2012 4:44:08 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi there. What I find strange Wolfman is the fact that rmcellig has other OS's on there and not any options in the menu to do a recovery. For example on this machine on sda1 I have Win 7 and Zorin OS and on sdb1 I have ComiceOS4. As Comice OS4 was the last install I did, having backed up my UE 2.9, I have Comice OS4, Comice OS4 recovery, memory Test, Win 7 Bootloader then 4 different kernel headers for ZorinOS - each with a recovery option!

Hi Swarf,

we will first have to wait and see if he still has problems on that front, he didn't mention the GRUB problem in his last post!!.

rmcellig

Sun May 06, 2012 10:31:02 am

I seem to be ok now as long as I invoke the password option the screensaver works fine. As far as GRUB is concerned, I still don't see a recovery option. Maybe I can post the contents of the menu.lst file if that helps?

Wolfman

Mon May 07, 2012 6:18:33 am

rmcellig wrote:I seem to be ok now as long as I invoke the password option the screensaver works fine. As far as GRUB is concerned, I still don't see a recovery option. Maybe I can post the contents of the menu.lst file if that helps?

can you boot into Windows okay????. I ask because you said you don't have a recovery menu which should be present!.

rmcellig

Mon May 07, 2012 9:16:57 am

Yes. Booting into Windows works fine.

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 to a separate partition and I think that my GRUB menu looks fine now. I will restart my computer to confirm. Will post back with an update.

Wolfman

Mon May 07, 2012 6:16:20 pm

Hi,

is it possible you didn't install GRUB to the MBR but selected another spot on your hard drive??, if you did, this would be the cause of your problem!!.

Always install GRUB to the MBR unless you are an advanced user!. (This is my opinion and may not be shared by other Linux users!)

rmcellig

Mon May 07, 2012 7:06:25 pm

I used the grub4dos app on puppy Linux to install the grub menu. I like using this because the font is large so that I can actually read the grub menu. Maybe I should look at alternate ways of installing/ upgrading grub ?

Wolfman

Mon May 07, 2012 7:49:43 pm

Hi,

firstly, I don't recommend using 3rd party software that is more or less not specific for Ubuntu based systems as Zorin is based on Ubuntu!!.

Secondly; go here and follow the instructions (Create a CD and use it to repair the boot manager and install to MBR!.):

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

rmcellig

Mon May 07, 2012 9:00:45 pm

That is great advice!! Thanks so much. I will make the boot repair CD, boot into it and repair GRUB.