This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

KVM toggling in Zorin OS 6 Lite

linuxhippy

Thu May 03, 2012 8:36:00 pm

I just installed Zorin OS 6 lite on my Asus Eee mini-netbook Surf 4G and think this OS works well on this small pc. I've used different Linux distros over the last decade from Slackware to Ubuntu along with a bunch of different desktops from LXDE, XFCE to GNOME. This mini-netbook has a VGA output so that a monitor can be plugged in since the netbook's display is so small and so this is almost a necessity. Since I have a desktop pc here, I bought a KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) switch that enables me to share one monitor/keyboard/mouse with my 2 computers.

In order to switch between the 2 pcs I double press either the Scroll Lock key or the Num Lock key. I've noticed this works with the Num Lock when the GNOME desktop is used but I am not able to do this with the LXDE desktop. Since I only have 4 GB of space on this mini-netbook, I liked how Zorin OS 6 Lite used LXDE. However, I cannot toggle my video screens.

How can I switch my KVM between my 2 computers in Zorin?

Marty

Wolfman

Fri May 04, 2012 8:11:55 am

Hi Marty,

I can only suggest you install "gnome desktop" and that should load all the packages you could want for your venture, just make sure that you don't select "gdm" as the login default and it will (should) still boot into an LXDE desktop!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

linuxhippy

Fri May 04, 2012 10:09:41 am

I dont have space for gnome on my 4 gb mini netbook.

I did notice it will toggle to another pc when I log out of lxde by pushing num lock twice...so a file just needs editing in lxde.

Marty

Edit:

When I say 4 GB I mean my drive size.