This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

I thought I could install MS Office 2010 to Zorin

BBOSAK2143

Fri May 04, 2012 3:37:22 pm

I have tried many things so far and with no results to get MS Office 2010 installed to this OS. Guess it is a real iie that you can get it to work. I tried wine and installing all kinds of files wine supposedly needed and am just left with nothing! No matter what I do MS Office 2010 is not doing a thing!!!. Searched on a few forums that said all these different files were needed, but was totally useless. Also tried the Play on Linux, which promptly nagged me to update only so it could completely disappear from the computer! So far am thinking I made a big mistake to only load this OS as is not doing the things I need it to do!

BBOSAK2143

Fri May 04, 2012 7:23:09 pm

Thanks for a fast reply! You have just given a few more ideas to me as I have almost completely run out! Before I tried POL, I had went through about 4 sites trying everything on Wine, to no avail. PlayOnLinux is associated with Wine but of course only download things that you have mentioned but then went on to fail. Am guessing that it just can't pull it off the disk so am going to copy to the hard drive and attempt again. if I wasn't in College, I would just use LibreOffice, but unfortunately this next semester once again requires MS Office. Am hoping all of the office stuff will install as I have work on website creation this next semester. Anyway will post as soon as it works or if it doesn't. Appreciate all the help. Next will be Streets and Trips and Virtual Pinball. Pinball is the only game I seem to have time for these days! Catch you in a few. Bob

BBOSAK2143

Fri May 04, 2012 9:38:49 pm

Nope guess the joke is on me for thinking I could use an OS other than Windows! Guess since I have to use MS Office I will be condemned to use Windows. Also have a Zune(how stupid I was to buy it!) and of course can't get that to work on this OS either. DUAL BOOT Here I come! Of course as long as this OS stops being so stubborn and lets me put something on next to it! Last time I tried a Dual Boot with Windows, this OS turned me down! Was my first hope, was to start learning on this OS instead of just jumping to it. I feel like I jumped down a endless pit as so far only a few programs I have work on it! Spent from 7am til 4:25pm messing with getting MS Office in and still nothing works. Did everything you said, including downloading a newer version of Wine, which refuses to make and install! Every setting from Win7 to WinXP, probably downloaded about half of what the Office2010 has on it that Wine and PlayOnLinux insisted on downloading. Then I get the same message that it crashed and is the end of it! Same with Zune and the Pinball. Guess I am just to dumb to get this stuff working! I never considered myself stupid til now, as this has taken me all day to and I accomplished nothing! I still thank you for your help and will keep trying. If I have no luck by the end of this next week, will just have to get a partition formatted to put Win7 back on. Take care Bob

Wolfman

Sat May 05, 2012 3:13:33 pm

BBOSAK2143

Sat May 05, 2012 4:16:45 pm

Guess I missed that particular post. Will try when I have some more time. Tried uninstalling and using version 1.2 and now it doesn't do anything at all. No programs work on it. Used the Ubuntu software handler to uninstall, then used the terminal to reinstall 1.2 and now is almost totally dysfunctional. Oh well so far the only program I really had working in Wine was DVD fab and am not sure if it works all the way! Didn't have any disks to burn so am not sure on that one at all! Virtual PInball just sits there and yes did check to make sure all 3D hardware is enabled and is! Guess for some reason this version of Linux is not as functional as others are. Might have to try unbuntu or something, cause I am loosing my faith in this OS real fast! Seems all I do is download, install and nothing happens! Thought maybe I could get a copy of vmware and just run all my office stuff on virtual win7 along with the Pinball, but alas downloaded it and this OS trashed it! 127mb of pure junk! Will bet this OS is in bed with Verizon cause the more I go and download the more money they get off me!!!!

Wolfman

Sat May 05, 2012 5:52:40 pm

Hi,

take a look here and do what I suggest with the software sources, then fully update your system and try reading the posts on the wine pages links too.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

Regards Wolfman :D

BBOSAK2143

Sat May 05, 2012 9:39:29 pm

Am not saying the download did not complete. It did but now what can I do with a 123mb text file? I want to stay on Zorin OS and just use VMWARE to run WIN7 since no matter what I do with WINE or PLAYONLINUX I am unsuccessful at installing MS Office 2010 and then the Visual PInball. If Zorin OS did not turn the 123mb VMWARE file(for linux) into trash, I would simply install it and run WIN7 in it and be happy. Maybe one day will come up with a cure for WINE AND PLAYONLINUX, but today is not it! Have followed all that was said, even your purging. Now is sitting there for the last half hour spinning away on PLAYONLINUX installing explorer 6. I spent half the day today following everything. I reinstalled all the components and still am nowhere. Terminal comes up easier just type in ter and it shows right away, been there quite a few times now! As I said checked to insure my 3D hardware was enabled. Also on the install had no sound, but was a simpler fix after I found in the terminal all drivers were there. This one is a tough one though as am really lost on where to go from here, since everything has been removed and reinstalled and no results! Also sure wish I could change that 123mb VMWARE Textfile into something usable say like a makefile?

Wolfman

Sun May 06, 2012 4:37:46 am

Hi,

1: you may have "broken packages" so look at this how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

2: MS Office 2010 has a seperate 64 bit installer that is hidden, if you have a 64 bit system, look for the "x64bit" package on the CD and use that, not the normal setup.exe!!.

3: did you set your software sources like I suggested??.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun May 06, 2012 7:40:35 am

Also have a look at this very detailed guide: http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-review ... -wine.html

However, your best result will be to get only word, excel and powerpoint working.

BBOSAK2143

Mon May 21, 2012 4:22:03 pm

I left Zorin and am on another distribution of Linux called YLMF 5(beta version). I do have DVD Fab working properly, but all advice found on this forum/winehq/web are proving null to get MS Office 2010 loaded. I get the same results as I did with Zorin on that. I stopped using Zorin due to a few things I didn't care for. I really like my new OS but really want to cure this problem! I have VirtualBox installed and working 100% but Win7 runs pretty slow. As I am truly sick of WIndows and all their antics, I wish I could get an English form of Yozo Office which has the ability to convert to windows formats. Unfortunately the distribution of Linux I am using only installs ypk. I have to learn how to convert debian to ypk, if I want to have an English version of Yozo. Although I installed YLM 5.2 in English the download from the software center gave me a Chinese version. WIll check this forum for advice and will still say liked a lot of things with Zorin, but somethings irked me so I figured would get another. Is a large amount of Linux OS's out there and personally just love my YLMF and will say with a beta like this, I sure wonder what the final will be?

madvinegar

Mon May 21, 2012 6:52:19 pm

YLMF is based on ubuntu 10.04. Are you sure you want to be left - kernelwise - so far behind?
You could wait for the final release of Zorin 6 core and try that out.

BBOSAK2143

Wed May 23, 2012 12:04:57 am

Will definitely look at Zorin 6 most likely it will be thru VIrtualbox. I just installed the 5.2 version of YLMF(2ND Beta) and just reminds me of the "Ole WinXP" beta days! I was very excited back then testing those versions, but seemed to wreck them in a day or two! These betas of YLMF are very hearty and seem to last fairly long. The drawback when it goes down though is a change of language! Is a real drag when you boot back up and is all in Chinese! Least Zorin stayed English! I shredded Zorin pretty bad in about a week. Took about 2 weeks to shred this one! All in the path to learning! Are you saying Ubuntu started the .ypk format? Have you got a grasp how to make them? I know I have some directions, but is going to take time for me to learn it! YLMF seems to not like using Winetricks either as none of their .ypk's come with it! I did the linux command and got it, but seems to do more messing up then helping! Not blaming Wine now as I see it is mostly cause Microsoft wants everything signed for!!! I learned some get arounds and got so many files, that I believed would make MS Office 2010 a happy camper, but nope just one of 10 attempts and all failures. All the articles and WineHq articles and forums, nothing seems to matter! I think I am going to just keep WIN7 in a cage(VIrtualbox) load MS Office to it and give up trying to fight a loosing battle! Have been at it for a month and no dice. I have a 64bit copy and a 32bit copy, both useless when it comes to Wine and WINETRICKED! Am now trying to find a way to convert this version of YOZO Office to English also. Pops up fast, don't have to worry about all those nice WIndows VIruses. So yeah would be great! College starts back up next week so have to finish this quest real fast! Will keep up with the post cause I do love looking at new OS's. Will be great when I understand them better though!!!

vinsolo

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:28:39 am

Wine installed office in this dirrectory . After following this write up

root@ict:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12#

But to run office say MS word you have to be root and go to that path where office is installed
root@ict:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12# and

type wine WINWORD.EXE

This works well . My question is how can i create a shortcut for ms office programs on the desktop or find a easy way out of the terminal for user to run this programs without following these steps.

madvinegar

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:40:20 am

I got MSoffice to work just fine (at least word, excel and powerpoint) using Play On Linux.
You can find it at the software center. Through PlayOnLinux also wine will be installed plus ms fonts required etc.
Also the relevant icons will be created on your desktop.

Linx

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05:14 am

vinsolo wrote:Wine installed office in this dirrectory . After following this write up

root@ict:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12#

But to run office say MS word you have to be root and go to that path where office is installed
root@ict:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12# and

type wine WINWORD.EXE

This works well . My question is how can i create a shortcut for ms office programs on the desktop or find a easy way out of the terminal for user to run this programs without following these steps.

ln -s -t ./Desktop/Word ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office12/WINWORD.EXE