This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Lexmark printer drivers

esteenson88

Fri May 04, 2012 5:52:48 pm

Here's an easy one: which drivers do I need for my Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901? I'm running 64 bit, but I'm not certain what packaging. Here's the list of available: http://support.lexmark.com/index?segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_PINNACLE_PRO901&page=product&frompage=null#1

esteenson88

Fri May 04, 2012 6:28:16 pm

Hey Swarf! That wasn't just a question, that was also a test of the emergency Zorin forum response system. 10 minutes has gotta be some kind of record. You win a golden rocketship to fly you to the moon!

Okay, so I downloaded the first package on the list(Printer driver (with JRE) for 64-bit Linux distributions with Debian-based packaging) and extracted it to my desktop. I then double-clicked the file on my desktop and ran it in terminal. This opened Lexmark's installer. My system then asked for my root (administrative) password. My normal password did not work(the only password I've set on this system).
Please dissect my ignorance

esteenson88

Fri May 04, 2012 7:12:57 pm

First I closed my open terminal, then followed your directions.
nautilus opened a file manager window that was in the root folder, with an empty desktop folder inside.
I then ran the Lexmark installer again by double-clicking the icon and selecting 'run in terminal'
same results when trying to authenticate
did I somehow not give myself full administrative rights on my initial install?

esteenson88

Fri May 04, 2012 10:57:27 pm

Hey Swarf,
Everything seems to be working/printing fine now.
From terminal I used 'sudo bash' then entered the directory where I extracted the file to and ran it from the command line. It never asked me for a password(aside from when I entered bash) again. Not exactly sure what the deal is, but everything is working now. Thanks for your help, buddy!

madvinegar

Sat May 05, 2012 6:44:54 am

esteenson88 wrote:My system then asked for my root (administrative) password. My normal password did not work(the only password I've set on this system).
Please dissect my ignorance

Just for future use, you must create a "unix" password. This is the password you need when you are asked for admin rights.

Instructions:
You have first to create a "unix" password.

Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo passwd

and click <enter>

You will be asked for your normal user password. You write it and click <enter>
You will then be asked to select a new "unix" password. You think of one, you write it and click <enter>.
You will then be asked to re-write your "unix" password for confirmation purposes. You write it again and click <enter>.
If all has gone well you will get a message saying that the unix password has been updated succesfully.

And that's it.

Next time you want to become "root" in terminal, you open terminal and write:
Code:
su
and click <enter>
You will then be asked for your unix password, you write it and click <enter>

After that, your terminal should look something like:
Code:
root@<username>:

and you will be having full administration rights.

madvinegar

Sat May 05, 2012 6:27:11 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
esteenson88 wrote:
madvinegar - could you copy your admin unix password response in the How-tos and tutorials? 60 blue jewels to you madvinegar!

Swarf I have already posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1941

It's post No2. Do you believe that we should make a new sticky out of it?

madvinegar

Sat May 05, 2012 6:45:43 pm

You don't have to thank me my friend! This is the idea of the community. :mrgreen:

How do I prepare the new sticky? I just write [STICKY] next to the title (like we do for the [SOLVED])?

madvinegar

Sat May 05, 2012 7:29:19 pm

Done. Thanx for the help.

esteenson88

Mon May 07, 2012 1:46:59 am

you guys rule