This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

LAN File Sharing

erko

Wed May 09, 2012 1:41:51 am

Hi Folks!

In a mixed Zorin OS & Windows OS LAN environment, w/ on-board Zorin software firewall protection for Zorin machines, how do I configure file sharing for each Zorin machine?

Thank you so much in advance.

~erko

Wolfman

Wed May 09, 2012 8:26:55 am

Hi erko,
have a look here:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-access-wi ... ers-ubuntu

Regards Wolfman :D

erko

Fri May 11, 2012 5:40:41 am

Thanks Wolfman!

I'll need a little time to get back into this, and evaluation work to sort through and discern what is applicable for the objective (...Did I say that?!).

Anyway, thank you so much, Wolfman! :)

~erko

erko

Mon May 14, 2012 10:28:21 pm

Hi Wolfman!

I've had a little time to work with this stuff and I accomplished creating a new Work Group network between two Zorin (32-bit) machines and two Windows 7 (64-bit) machines.

I run into problems with the Zorin-to-Zorin machines in that a window...

Screenshot-Untitled Window.png
Screenshot-Untitled Window.png (25.97 KiB)

...keeps popping-up requiring a password that I never set, or had an opportunity to set. I tried the password that I use to get into the Zorin machines (both the same) - to no avail. I frankly don't remember what the Windows 7 passwords are (probably both WIN 7 machines are different).

Now, I can see both Zorin machines when searching in either Zorin machine. I'm stonewalled because of the need of password input, is all.

Any suggestions, Wolfman?

Thanks much in advance! ;)

~erko

Wolfman

Tue May 15, 2012 6:43:57 am

Hi erko,

I can only say take a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-cl ... hares.html

I don't do it myself so I cannot be of much furhter help to you!! sorry :(

Regards Wolfman :D

erko

Tue May 15, 2012 1:50:42 pm

Hi Wolfman!

You're a good man who goes the extra mile ...as does all helpers here! I appreciate the help and effort of all.

I'll get to your pointed and helpful link, Wolfman, in a couple of few days. I just can't spend the time on it right now at this moment.

ON ANOTHER SUBJECT . . .
To the developers of Zorin: In my own humble newbie opinion, you've got a real winner here w/ Zorin! I've been involved, as a novice, with several distros of Linux and I am really very impressed with the Zorin program.

Thank you so much for all of your shared abilities, time and effort. I'm serious about this. I am really impressed!

~erko

DanYHKim

Wed May 16, 2012 3:23:28 pm

erko wrote:. . . I frankly don't remember what the Windows 7 passwords are (probably both WIN 7 machines are different). . . .
~erko

The Windows password thing can become a problem someday, so you might want to try and resolve that. I have had some success with the "Offline Windows Password and Registry Editor" liveCD. This is a command-line Linux liveCD that lets you delete the password for a Windows account, letting you log in with no password. Since it does not 'crack' a password, it does not reveal the previous password at all, which is a relief to system guys who don't want a departmental admin password revealed. It's fast and pretty easy to use, although the interface requires some careful reading.

DanYHKim

Wed May 16, 2012 3:35:12 pm

I have no problems with file sharing at my office, but at home I can't make it work. Rather than mess around with it anymore, I activated the Ubuntu One software that ships with ZorinOS. This is rather like the Windows Live Skydrive service, in that you can sync up to 5 GB of files from a designated folder to online storage. Using this, I at least have one directory that is available for transferring files between different computers and different networks.

It's a partial solution at least.

Another possibility that I haven't investigated is to put your computers on a Virtual Private Network. I think Teamviewer.com has a VPN option that is free for private use. Using this may overcome some of the location and authentication problems that sometimes come up with file sharing.

If this works, please share your experience with the rest of us.

erko

Mon May 21, 2012 10:03:36 pm

Hi Dan (...YHKim)!
----------------------
"Another possibility that I haven't investigated is to put your computers on a Virtual Private Network. I think Teamviewer.com has a VPN option that is free for private use. Using this may overcome some of the location and authentication problems that sometimes come up with file sharing.

If this works, please share your experience with the rest of us."
----------------------

In theory, I like the sound of this one. Thanks!

When I get a chance (a little time) I'm gonna' take a look at it. And, yes, I will share the results.

~erko