This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Adding more Desktop Environments

rmcellig

Wed May 09, 2012 7:41:26 pm

I am using Zorin 5.1. I was thinking of adding other DE's just to see what they are like. Are there any things I should concern myself with before doing this?

So far I installed xfce. What other ones would you recommend? Can I simply use the command line to install DE's and Window managers?

Wolfman

Thu May 10, 2012 3:42:16 pm

Hi,

you can try any number, LXDE, KDE and so on, just remember that you need to select which DE you want at the login screen.

Look where it says "session" and that will give you a list of installed DE's. Select your session before you type your password!.

http://www.debianadmin.com/wp-content/g ... 1004/1.png

Regards Wolfman :D

rmcellig

Thu May 10, 2012 4:45:12 pm

Thanks! What I was wondering that if by installing all these DE's it will slow down my machine, and maybe conflict with other DE's installed or is that the beauty of Linux. In other words, Linux is designed to work with multiple DE's and WM's. If so, that is so cool seeing that all you have to do is select the DE you want to login into when the logon screen appears.

I'm not kidding when I say it feels like Christmas every day. I'm always amazed how all of this works together!

Wolfman

Thu May 10, 2012 6:41:32 pm

Hi,

all the DE's you install should run more or less at the same speed!!. It shouldn't slow your PC down!!.

frits

Fri May 18, 2012 7:43:29 am

Is it possible to install Unity? I see it is available in Synaptic.
I guess this will also appear in the session chooser?

Wolfman

Fri May 18, 2012 7:57:45 am

frits wrote:Is it possible to install Unity? I see it is available in Synaptic.
I guess this will also appear in the session chooser?

Hi frits,

I would say a tenative yes; as you should be able to intall any desktop!!.

That said, I cannot say whether or not you would have a problem after installation, so use at your own risk!!.

Why you would want Unity is a good question, as I think it sucks!!.

*Please bear in mind that the new Zorin 6 Rc will not be using Gnome Shell so when it comes out, don't try installing things that rely on Gnome shell!!.*

frits

Fri May 18, 2012 1:28:16 pm

I tried it on my (test) desktop.

It works, but my original top panel is also still there. The Unity top panel is underneath it.

Apparently the original is not removed when starting up Unity from the session chooser.

Maybe it works better in 6.

Wolfman

Fri May 18, 2012 1:51:38 pm

Hi frits,

if you really want Unity, why not install Ubuntu 12.04 and be done with it. If you start modding other OS'es to look like Ubuntu, you might as well just download it directly!!.

You can remove the top panel using the top panel preferences but when you change back to a Gnome DE, the top panel won't be there!!!!.

see also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1647231

frits

Fri May 18, 2012 3:02:09 pm

Hmmm, so you want to get rid of me. :o