This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Acess another users home folder and files

jymm

Sat May 19, 2012 12:21:47 am

Hi, I am new to Zorin and love the OS. I am running Zorin 5.2 core 32 bit. I have in the past just played with Xandros, PC Linux and Mint 11. My question is I have a lot of music in my home >music folder. It takes up about 60 gigs on a 160 gig hard drive. How do I share it with other users on the same computer? How can another user access my files so we both don't need the same music on the hard drive filling it up? I tried to use file sharing but that didn't work. I can access home, but not music, I am denied. Is there a way to do this short of partitioning the hard drive, and even then can anyone access those files? I did NOT encrypt my home folder, Any help would be appreciated.

Wolfman

Sat May 19, 2012 5:28:19 am

Hi,

pres Alt + F2 and type "gksudo nautilus" then enter your password, this will start Nautilus and you will be root!!, You should now be able to access the other folders but remember, you are root, everything you do will only grant privileges as root in the future.

A different way is to copy the files you want to an external drive from the other folder and then paste them into your folder, that way, you don't need to be root!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jymm

Mon May 21, 2012 1:26:35 am

Thanks swarfendor437. Problem solved The article really help. Samba did the trick. I always try to read tutorial or others who had problems in the forum to find the answer first. I also belong to the general Linux forum. I think I was confused with network sharing and same computer sharing. I love Zorin but dislike having root locked. I was finally able to unlock root, which Samba required. It was my first sucess with the terminal. I still am not sure I have root right, but it worked. I don't understand Zorin/Ubuntu locking root, and then providing software that requires root privledges. I also had the same problem with Unetbootin. If I had not used Linux before and at least had an understanding of root, I would have been very furstrated and given up on Linux. Every article I read on root gave a similar, but also different procedure for unlocking root. At first I thought Zorin administator was root, but now see you still need root privledges for some things. Still I keep a seperate Administrator and desktop user for myself rather than run as an Administrator all the time. Again thanks.