This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] I have question about when my pc boots up

steve1020

Tue May 22, 2012 1:21:04 am

Yes i have a question i have installed zorin 5.2 core os and its working great and i will probably never go back to windows but there is one thing its not that bad but it just bugs me every time i boot up i get this thng that pop up and it says boot in regular or recovery and 2 other things that i dont remember and under its says booting up the highlighted option automatically in 10 seconds and then i have to wait 10 seconds and the zorin logo comes on and then it boot up normally really my question is how can i remove that and just boot up normally because the rest works flawless im really happy its just that really get on my nerves in case you need to know i downloaded zorin through firefox and used unetbootin to create a usb image boot thing and installed it with my usb flash drive so can some body tell me why its doing that is it supposed to do that if not i can i removed it or stop it.

thank you

Wolfman

Tue May 22, 2012 5:08:02 am

Hi Steve,

if you have Windows install also, the GRUB boot manager is giving you the option to decide which OS you wish to boot into, you might want to run "Recovery Mode" and if you delete that option from the boot menu, what would you do in an emergency!!.

You can edit the GRUB menu if you want to but I wouldn't recommend it, those few extra seconds you have to wait are not really a big deal are they??. If you hit the enter key, it will boot straight away!!.

More info for you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubH ... eDefaultOS

Regards Wolfman :D

steve1020

Tue May 22, 2012 6:14:53 am

ok thank you for the fast responce and youre right 10 seconds its not the end of the world but now at leat i know what its for

madvinegar

Tue May 22, 2012 8:07:55 am

There is an easy way to do it, but please be careful and do this with care.

Open Terminal and write:
Code:
gksudo nautilus

Enter your password when requested.

Navigate your way to /etc/default and select the file named "grub". Open it and, carefully, change the following 2 lines.

Remove the "#" from the below line
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0" (i.e. it should look like: GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0")

Change
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Now save the file and close nautilus.

To have these changes work we need to regenerate Grub2

In terminal type
Code:
sudo update-grub

Enter password if requested

Now when you reboot there will be no Grub2 menu. The Grub menu though has not been deleted. We have just hidden it and removed the 10 seconds timer. In case you will need it to show up, just keep pressed the "shift" button when you boot.

steve1020

Tue May 22, 2012 1:24:51 pm

:D Alright thanks it worked and its a good thing to know that if i never need it i just have to keep pressing shift its kind of like pressing f8 with windows anyway thank you for your help really appreciated

madvinegar

Tue May 22, 2012 8:00:07 pm

Glad I helped!
Should I mark the thread as solved?