This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]How to delete desktop icons and correct menu problem

Wolfman

Tue May 22, 2012 2:14:46 pm

Hi,

dconf > org > gnome > nautilus > desktop > and take out all the ticks that you want!!.

You can remove individual icons by right clicking and send to trash.

Do you have Ubuntu Tweak installed and the switch set to "On" ??.

Regards Wolfman :D
Ubuntu Tweak_004.png
Ubuntu Tweak_004.png (75.29 KiB)

Wolfman

Tue May 22, 2012 2:35:42 pm

Hi,

glad to hear that helped with the icons, I don't know about the other problem as that is something to do with Zorin's own desktop!!.

Beee Happy

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15:19 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

dconf > org > gnome > nautilus > desktop > and take out all the ticks that you want!!.

You can remove individual icons by right clicking and send to trash.

Do you have Ubuntu Tweak installed and the switch set to "On" ??.

Ubuntu Tweak_004.png

This is NOT how my Ubuntu Tweaks look like in Zorin OS 6 core (UbTw 0.7.2-1~precise1). I have not the opt switch like the UbTw delivererd with ZoOS 5.2 to hide desk top items. I'll try the dconf, otherwise I go back to 5.2 wich worked nice on my EeePC 901. However there are some speed advantages etc with OS6 that I like a lot (5-10 sek faster boot time etc. snappier over all in my opinion).

Edit 06/07/12: The dconf worked well however after installing update and Jupiter energy management app the menu bar disappeared :-(

Wolfman

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:23:49 am

Hi,

jupiter energy app is a Gnome Shell extension, you should not be using Gnome shell in Zorin 6!!!!!.

See this guide also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman

Beee Happy

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36:58 am

OK!

Beee Happy

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42:25 am

Beee Happy wrote:OK!

Btw, all updates referring to Gnome is obsolete then? I don't get the concept of Gnome so please advise furthure. I thought Gnome was a desktop environment that some Linux dists used as a base for their shells. Is Zorin 5.2 using Gnome?

Also, Jupiter works fine on ZOS 6 for me now and saves some 2 hrs of battery time. I also found the advanced settings to toggle desktop icons etc.

Wolfman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:39:30 am

Hi BH,

I was told that we shouldn't use Gnome Shell but it seems to be working okay nonetheless!.

5.2 uses Gnome.

In Zorin 6 Final Core, you can toggle between the Gnome 2 look and a basically well hidden KDE which is used as the basis for the Windows look!.

There are a mixture of Gnome and KDE packages that make up Zorin.

Beee Happy

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:08:29 pm

Makes sense :-)

Contra

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:15:29 pm

wow this helped alot, thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:00:21 pm

In earlier versions of Zorin it was 'Gnome Tweak Tool' - in later ones (including 8 Core RC), 'Tweak Tool' under 'Preferences' - Menu | System Tools | Preferences :

TweakTool.jpg