This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Houston, I have a Problem!

methomas

Tue May 22, 2012 11:14:21 pm

Greetings,

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday and it took over my whole hard drive, wiping out everything. I have worked on it for the last 12 hours, accomplished nothing except what doesn't work.

Windows don't reconize anything because it's all Linux now.

I want to recover my hard drive, reinstall windows and Zorin OS together.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

M E

Wolfman

Wed May 23, 2012 5:27:48 am

Hi ME,

firstly you should take a few minutes to read a couple of guides about partitioning and installing, this way, you will have a better idea of what to do next.

1. Create your partitions before re-installing Windows and when you come to re-installing Zorin, your partitions are already for you to use and you select "something else" when asked by Zorin where you wish to install.

2. You need to create a Windows partition in NTFS format of whatever size you want; then an "Extended Partition", within the extended partition, you create a "swap" part which should be twice the size of your RAM but no bigger than 2GB, then a "root" ( / denotes root mount point ) of about 20GB and finally a "home" partition ( /home denotes mount point ) which can be any size but not less than your root. The file format for root and home should be "ext4".

3. Re-install Windows first using your recovery CD and then install Zorin.

You need a partitioning tool, I recommend "Gparted" as it is very good and free (see how-to).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

And for Partedmagic (Gparted): http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

For a more detailed how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1658

Regards Wolfman :D

methomas

Wed May 23, 2012 12:14:08 pm

Big Problem!

I set Ubuntu to install along side of windows, but Ubuntu has taken over the complete drive. All 600 Gigs.

I have tried reinstalling windows. It doesn't reconize the drive. The drive is formatted in Linux.

I have tried installing other Linux distros, both from CD/DVD and USB, but it still comes back up Ubuntu. Ubuntu has taken over the drive.

The only thing I can see to do is; re partition the drive and reformat it.

I am going to try your suggestions and get the flock out of and away from Ubuntu.

Thanks,

M E

Wolfman

Wed May 23, 2012 2:28:38 pm

Hi ME,

Windows won't recognize (it pretends not to!!) the drive, but what you can do is simply delete the partitions and re-format it, you can do this with the Windows installer tool.

Confirm delete partition and on you go!!. You can tell Windows you only want so much of the drive and later use Gparted to do your Linux partitions!!.

methomas

Thu May 24, 2012 2:05:20 am

Thanks Wolfman,

Problem Solved!

My big problem was; I could not use Windows to do anything. It just told me that it didn't recognize the drive (Linux format).

After many attempts it booted up g parted magic and that solved the problem.

I just reformatted the drive, installed windows, partitioned windows and then I had in conquered.

I am downloading Zorin OS and will install when downloaded... :D

Thanks,

M E

pregard

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:20:25 pm

I have facing same problem

Wolfman

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56:38 pm

pregard wrote:I have facing same problem

Hi,

have you read the how-to/installation section??.

See Swarf's guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1658

And/or/also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

methomas

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:34:22 pm

Solved by removing 5.2 and installing the new OS 6 Final, 64 bit version.

OS 6 Final is setup up on computer as the only OS and I'm happy.

Everything works great, except Windows.

Windows and Microcrap are history, a bad history at that.

M E

Wolfman

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52:04 pm

Hi ME,

glad to hear it, please take a look at the post install guide if you haven't already done so:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2061