This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Partitioning help

jymm

Thu May 24, 2012 11:46:35 am

I have Zorin core 5.2 installed on my 160 gig hard drive. I did not partition the hard drive when I installed Zorin. I am realizing I should have done that only now. I have backed up all my data to DVD's. I would like to keep about 60 gigs for the Zorin OS, and use most of the other 100 gigs for storage or the home drive, and I know I need some of the drive for swap space.

My question is what is the safest method to partition the hard drive at this point. I have the Parted Magic OS and Zorin comes with G-parted. Is it safest to use the Parted Magic CD to partition, or is it safer to use Zorin and partition the hard drive while Zorin is running? Also how many gigs should I keep for swap space? Any other tips?

I have a lot of time in getting Zorin OS to where I want it with my software, and hope to not have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated.

Wolfman

Thu May 24, 2012 6:13:01 pm

Hi,

use Partedmagic, for swap, you should have about twice your Ram, for root; about 20GB and home can be any size you want but not less than about 40GB.

Regards Wolfman :D

jymm

Fri May 25, 2012 4:54:57 pm

Problem solved