This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Couldn't boot Live Linux CD/DVD

jymm

Thu May 24, 2012 12:08:19 pm

I solved this problem, but it was very unusual and I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. I installed Zorin 5.2 core on an older HP computer. It has a celeron processor, it came with 500 MB of memory which I upgraded to 1 gig and has a 160 gig hard drive. It had XP with service pack 2 originally installed. It has USB 2 ports and can boot from them.

I saw Zorin 6 was out and wanted to run the live DVD to see what is the difference. I just started with 5.2 and wanted to know if it was worth upgrading. When I tried to boot the DVD the title came up, I think it was something about isolinux and a guys name, but would then not boot. I checked my boot order in the BIOS and it had been disabled, and not by me. I enabled the boot order.

I had Solus OS from when I was looking for a OS, so I then tried Solus. I also tried and old PC Linux 2009 that I knew booted. Same result. I then threw in a Bart PE CD I used for troubleshooting windows and it booted fine. Tried the aforementioned again, same result, did not boot to Linux. I then tried a USB stick with Linux Vector Lite OS, and got the splash screen but an error message "disk image missing". From there I remembered Puppy Linux can boot from just the memory. I tried Puppy Linux and it booted up fine. I then tried Zorin 6 and it booted fine after that. My hard drive boot to Zorin 5.2 is still fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? Could Zorin have messed up my BIOS? No one but myself uses this computer, so someone else did not change the BIOS. Also if anyone else runs into this problem, it seems like Linux Puppy is the cure.

Wolfman

Thu May 24, 2012 6:17:33 pm

Hi,

if you installed Zorin on a partition that had another /home partition on it and you didn't format it, you will have config files from a different OS in there, you should always format your /home as well as root regardless if it is an upgrade of the same OS. If you update an OS using the regular OS updater, it won't matter, if you are using an install CD, it does matter!!.

Zorin would not change your BIOS settings!!.

Regards Wolfman :D