This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] gaining acess to new partition

jymm

Fri May 25, 2012 5:06:01 pm

I made a new partition on my hard drive formatted in ext. 3 and labeled home. I can't write to the partition. I tried to change the permissions but I can't as root owns the partition. I am also having trouble logging in as root to change the partition.

I am trying to follow the tutorials, but am still having troubles. I type in "sudo passwd root". It then asks for my account password, which it accepts and then says new Unix password. I am not sure from here.

The cursor doesn't move and no characters are displayed when I type my new password. Is that correct? It accepts my new Unix password and confirmation and says it has been changed an accepted. Yet when I try to log in as root, it says command not found. ( am using "sudo bash passwd") Now twice I was able to get to the permissions, not sure how? Both times when I changed the permissions to read and write, then when I applied the changes it went back to root and read only and locked me out again.

What am I doing wrong? How do I change the permissions to the new partition? Do I need to be root? Am I doing something wrong when trying to become root? Any help would be appreciated.

jymm

Fri May 25, 2012 6:59:31 pm

Solved. I got it figured out myself. I was trying to use the terminal to do everything. Then it dawned on me to log in as root and use the password I had set. That worked, I now have control of my partition and also have the permissions set how I want them. I then logged out of root and just use desktop user. I also have an administrator desktop.