This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Printer and video problems after installation

cloggyjohn

Mon May 28, 2012 3:01:12 pm

Hi there,

I´ve just installed Zorin 5.2 for a friend on his Acer Apire X3200 with AMD athlon 4450 dual core processor, Nvidia Gforce 8200 graphics card ( and additionally a Club 9500GT video card ), Brother DCP-350C printer and Novita 1705 monitor and have encountered the following problems:

1. Can´t print anything as it would appear there are no drivers available for this printer, is this true ? I´ve had a look around but couldn´t find anything but maybe I´m not looking in the right place.

2. Every 8-9 seconds the screen flickers twice, very irritating. I tried installing the recommended proprietary Nvidia driver but all I ended up with after restarting the system was a black screen which left me with no option but to install the system again. There were 2 other Nvidia drivers available, one with 3D support I believe, but I was reluctant to try either as I didn´t really fancy doing another installation.

After recommending Zorin to him I´d really like to get the system working correctly so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Although I´ve had a little experience of Ubuntu-based systems I still consider myself a newbie so answers in as plain as possible english please.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wolfman

Mon May 28, 2012 5:50:22 pm

Hi,

you need to check these how-to's:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

Install the recommended Nvidia drivers!1.

For your printer, type "brother" in Synaptic search and look at the packages you might need!!.

Regards Wolfman :D
Synaptic Package Manager _006.png
Synaptic Package Manager _006.png (158.62 KiB)

cloggyjohn

Mon May 28, 2012 6:06:48 pm

Thanks Wolfman, I´ll give this a try when I´m next round there and post back

cloggyjohn

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:37:26 am

Printer - downloaded and installed the deb packages from the Brother site and the printer now works fine
Video - activated the recommended Nvidia driver and after restarting the system the flickering disappeared.

Thanks for your assistance.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28:05 am

Way to go CJ :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D