This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 5.2 Virtualbox host Windows XP Guest

DanYHKim

Wed May 30, 2012 1:20:11 am

I installed Virtualbox using the Ubuntu Software Center, and then created a Windows XP Virtual Machine (VM) using the XP Pro installation CD that came with the hardware I am using (Dell Dimension 2400, 1 GB RAM). The XP VM runs fine, and is able to connect to the Internet via NAT through the Zorin OS host.

Installed Virtualbox Guest Additions for Windows, and so I can get full screen display of XP. Works well, and now the mouse capture also works transparently (mouse operates within the VM, and then works with Zorin when it is pulled out of the VM's application window.). So far, happy.

Now, I would like to install software in the XP VM. I can't seem to make the VM connect to a USB drive that is connected to the computer. The drive shows up in the list of devices in the Virtualbox application menu, but it is grayed out. Also, I have no idea how to make the Shared Folder feature work.

I am used to using VMware Player, but I have always heard the Virtualbox is the way to go in a Linux host. Can someone give me a clue? Thanks.

MMTMM

Wed May 30, 2012 6:16:36 am

This short tutorial worked for me. I was running Lubuntu 11.04 Host and installed XP Home as Guest. http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-F ... 1715.shtml

DanYHKim

Thu May 31, 2012 2:49:14 am

Wow! That worked! Thanks so much for the quick reply.
(Now I have to read up on how to append the "Solved" tag to this thread)