This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Kernel Panic...(Zorin x64 installation)

rene

Thu May 31, 2012 11:47:49 am

Can't install Zorin x64 on my PC (as a second system)
Error: "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (8,1)...etc"

Before this, for the first time i tried to use windows inner tool for operations with partitions and this damn thing has done something with my HD, so Linux can't see where to setup the root (It's only my guess, i'm just a user).
I was able to install Zorin x32 and Mint, just had too show them where to setup the root, but with installation of Zorin x64 everything gets stuck right after choosing installation in menu (or Live).

Now HD devided in the following way:
100 mb(reserved by windows)---ntfs(primordial,windows)---ex4(primordial)---swap---ex4(extendent, logical)---ntfs (extendent, logical)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Wolfman

Thu May 31, 2012 12:14:22 pm

Hi Rene,

you should have all your Linux partitions in an "Extended Partition", you have some in and some out!!, if I were you; I would start from scratch and re-format your partitions, all Linux in one extended partition!!.

Part 1: Windows C:, Extended Part then root, swap and home all in that partition!.

Did you burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed??.

Regards Wolfman :D

rene

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:30:44 pm

Wolfman wrote:Part 1: Windows C:, Extended Part then root, swap and home all in that partition!.

I did (except formatting - don't have a possibility now to backup all data from hd), it didn't help

Wolfman wrote:Did you burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed??.

I use pendrive (and UNnetbootin). Can it be that the the reason is from the side of .iso, due to some kind of corruption during downloading .iso file?

rene

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40:02 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I would also be tempted to move the swap file to the end of the drive (before the last ntfs partition you listed... swap double size of RAM

i tryed this too... it didn't help.
ps: i use desktop

Wolfman

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:34:07 am

Hi Rene,

what you can do is delete all the Linux partitions and just leave the space blank without formatting anything, when it comes to the part about where you want to install, choose "Use empty space", this way, the installer will create your partitions for you!!.

rene

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:55:01 am

Nope, it didn't help either.. Though Zorin x32 is getting installed without problems...

What about that 100 Mb in the beginning, reserved by Windows, NTFS, and set as /boot? Can it cause the problem?

My another vague thought - some damage of MBR?

rene

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:54:56 pm

I see... thanks swarfendor! Working on it...

Wolfman

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:27:35 am

Make sure that there are no hidden drives when fully formatting a hard drive.

As has been pointed out, if you do need to recover, make sure you don't delete the OS recovery partition which has all the data on it, if you don't need Window$, go ahead but remember once deleted or formatted, you won't have Windows unless you have a recovery CD!!.

My drive also has a 100MB Boot sector, you can leave this intact if you want, it will be used for the Master Boot Loader (MBR).

-dev-sda - GParted_008.png
-dev-sda - GParted_008.png (105.03 KiB)

rene

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16:24 am

Reinstalling window$ is not a big deal, so i have deleted all fs, except about 30% of ntfs on extended part. All the rest was free, unknown, clean! Alas! Same error. Any other ideas?

Wolfman

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:26:22 am

Hi,

once installed, make sure you do this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

rene

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:21:54 pm

Problem solved: 6 RC x64 installation - no problems (same comp, same configuration, same part. structure)... "Time has passed and spring has disappeared, together with mystique cause of that problem, and they will never remember it..." :) Thanks for new release!