This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bootloader wont install

Bmxracer4

Thu May 31, 2012 4:45:29 pm

My old desktop crapped out on me, So I booted into zorin live and formatted my hard drives (Two 40gbs) and went to install it and I got error saying the bootloader cant not be installed, I am installing zorin 5.2 as my only os on this computer now

Wolfman

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:42:38 am

Hi,

further to Swarfs comments, you can also try (if you have the time and energy) re-installing and select "Use complete drive" and it will auto create all the partitions and install the bootloader automatically!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Bmxracer4

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:44:59 pm

My computer is an old Dell dimension 4600 with this specs http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-4600-pentium/4507-3118_7-30529709.html and its all stock, I used the zorin 5.2 core from this site, I have no idea how my hardrives are set up but i do have a master and slave setup and i used the complete drive install but when i choose the first master drive it says it wont install the master drive

Bmxracer4

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:44:46 am

ok, I did delete windows on purpose, I did re-download the zorin 5.2 on my laptop and onto the a new disk and I can still live boot. I will run the gpart now and let you know if it works

[Edit, I am cant find the partion tool]

Thanks, Anthony

Bmxracer4

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34:40 am

Here is the images of my drives from the disk ulitly, I hope thats what you wanted

Wolfman

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:42:03 am

Hi,

the master should have the name "sda" which should always be the primary drive, "sdb" should be the slave!!.

You can download a partition tool from here:

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

Partitioning how-to:

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=using_gparted

Did you burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed??.

Bmxracer4

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:23:56 pm

Ok, I have checked my drives and there plugged in, I haven't moved them, also my desktop came with 2 drives stock when i bought it. I got on using the zorin live on my desktop (now i am on my laptop with win 7). I will try gparted right now and take some more screenshots

Thanks

Bmxracer4

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:36:20 pm

I got both drives formatted and all the partions are gone now, I gonna try to install zorin now

Screenshot-1.png
Slave drive formatted and got rid of other partions
Screenshot-1.png (85.62 KiB)

Screenshot-1.png
Slave drive formatted and got rid of other partions
Screenshot-1.png (85.62 KiB)

Bmxracer4

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:08:53 am

Ok, I got zorin installed on sda now, But yeah when i open gpart sdb always shows up first, I want to know how to formatted my slave drive so i can put movies, documents and pictures on it and leave the master to have programs and ulties

Wolfman

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16:05 am

Bmxracer4 wrote:Ok, I got zorin installed on sda now, But yeah when i open gpart sdb always shows up first, I want to know how to formatted my slave drive so i can put movies, documents and pictures on it and leave the master to have programs and ulties

Hi,

you are in a slighty tricky situation here as your drives are nearly both the same size!!. Normally what I would do is create a root partition of about 20GB, a swap which is double my RAM and then my home which can be any size, you however have the choice to create your home partition on the slave drive (sdb) or reduce your main drive (sda) and have a smaller home if you split your drive 50/50.

You can use the slave drive (sdb) simply as a backup drive or use it as the home partition, I wouldn't use the whole of sda for root because it is a waste of space.

In an ideal world, you should have one large drive with all your partitions on that, then if you have another drive, you can use it for backup!!.

I hope what I have written makes sense to you but basically the problem lies with the mount points, you cannot make 2 seperate patrtitions as your home!!.

Bmxracer4

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:31:58 pm

ok, I will try that tonight, I wish it was easier, To have boot and programs on one and documents on the other