This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] ZRamSwap-Installer from Update Pack Mgr "Stuck"

josephconlin

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48:30 am

Check with my Update Manager. It recommended that I install ZRAMSwap-Enabler (Size: 3KB). I clicked install. That was an hour ago.

About 30 minutes ago, the screen vanished and code appeared. Then it reverted to Zorin's Applying Changes window. It read that it was preparing to "zramswap-enabler 0.2.1-0-18~nattyl" with "zramswap-eanbler 0.2.1-0-19~nattyl all.deb. The program installed the new system: "Job failed to start." It has attemnpted to install version 19 again, but there's little activity.

Recommendations?
Stuck in RamSwap Limbo

madvinegar

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:39:51 am

One think I would recomend at first is to plug an ethernet cable on your laptop/pc to get internet, reboot, from the grub menu select the recovery mode (usually the 2nd option) and then from the new menu that will appear choose "dpkg".
This will update your system and correct broken packages (if any).

Wolfman

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23:16 pm

Hi,

also check your software sources:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

Regards Wolfman :D

comsparks

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04:37 pm

I'm having the same problem on 0.2.1-0-20 natty1

comsparks

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:09:15 am

@ madvinegar, I tried your suggestion and it worked. I also used Bleachbit and ran it in user and root to clean up the HD and everything is running fast. Thank you.

Technobabble

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57:21 pm

I just experienced this same issue, this morning. I've finally gotten zramswap uninstalled, instead of in an inconsistent state. Should I attempt to re-install it? Do I need it? Thanks!

esteenson88

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:57:44 pm

I have the same problem, but when I try to boot in recovery mode as mad suggested, my system freezes(right after selecting recovery mode) on a black screen.

wdhpr

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:48:54 pm

Same exact problem I will try madvinegar's solution. Will post back the results.

wdhpr

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:04:08 pm

Tried madvinegar's solution and it worked like a charm, thanks

comsparks

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32:20 pm

I don't know if this will help on the grub but have you tried update-grub, reboot and see if that helps?

esteenson88

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:33:00 am

comsparks wrote:I don't know if this will help on the grub but have you tried update-grub, reboot and see if that helps?

Hey Comsparks,
I ran grub-update from terminal. Still can't seem to boot in recovery mode. Searched for this issue in other threads with no results. Any suggestions?

comsparks

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:55:04 am

If you can boot the OS up go into Terminal and type sudo apt-get remove zramswap-enabler. This will remove it. Turn off computer for a few and then reboot and see if you can run the recovery mode then follow mads advice.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:29:10 am

esteenson88 wrote:
comsparks wrote:I don't know if this will help on the grub but have you tried update-grub, reboot and see if that helps?

Hey Comsparks,
I ran grub-update from terminal. Still can't seem to boot in recovery mode. Searched for this issue in other threads with no results. Any suggestions?

You can also (once booted) run this command to fix broken packages/files in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

You might want to check out these how-to's also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

Regards Wolfman

Broxie-Daisy

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:36:44 pm

Thank you Madvinegar that worked a treat. :)

jymm

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:29:32 pm

I am having the same problem.
I had a program called zramswap-enable. During the weekly Ubuntu update the update failed and froze my updater. I cannot remove the program as it is to corrupted. It has caused Synaptic to crash when ever I try to use it. I downloaded it in the terminal, but it freezes on install. I downloaded the file but cannot install (using Ubuntu software center or gdebi) it as it says I have a newer version and Synaptic crashes. I cannot right now update, install or un-install anything.

My question. I did a search and found all the parts (packages) of the program. Can I delete them all without harming my system? Will this work? Will the system let me delete the packages?

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I might have to re-install, which I would hate to do.'

Thanks ahead of time for any info.
Tried this, but again it only gets so far and sticks:
Code: Select allsudo apt-get autoclean
and
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get autoremove

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: error processing zramswap-enabler (--configure):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting configuration.
Errors were encountered while processing:
zramswap-enabler
sudo apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
zramswap-enabler
The following packages will be REMOVED:
python-pygments
The following packages will be upgraded:
zramswap-enabler
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 41 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/3162 B of archives.
After this operation, 2527 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 191938 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace zramswap-enabler 0.2.1-0~19~natty1 (using .../zramswap-enabler_0.2.1-0~21~natty1_all.deb) ...

after this nothing happens, it just stays here for hours.

Can I just delete the program without problems?

jymm

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:39:40 pm

I also cannot configure a:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting configuration.
Errors were encountered while processing:
zramswap-enabler

Yet I cannot re-install the program as it is corrupt.

jymm

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:41:09 pm

I know years ago I had tried Xandros. I remember using tutorials to download tar balls, unzipping them and then putting the parts of the program in the proper folders. This was before package managers. Can I delete all the parts of the package and still be okay with my system?

Here is what a search finds:
zramswap-enabler.postinst
zramswap-enabler.prem
zswap-enabler.list
zramswap-enabler.conffiles
zramswap-enabler.md5sums
ppa.launchpad.net-shnatsel-zram-ubuntu-dists-natty-main-bianary-i386-packages
ppa.launchpad.net-shnatsel-zram-ubuntu-dists-natty-release
ppa.launchpad.net-shnatsel-zram-ubuntu-dists-natty-main-source-Sources
zramswap.conf
shnatsel-zram-natty.list.save
shnatsel-zram-natty.list

I would like to know if deleting these is okay?

esteenson88

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:22:58 am

It looks like jymm and I are suffering the exact same symptoms. I can't seem to do anything with that file.

Muzzargh

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:06:43 am

I'm having the same issue and can't seem to get anywhere??? :-(

Muzzargh

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:11:17 am

OK, I did what Madvinegar suggested in post #2 and all is now good with the world :-)

Wolfman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:12:11 am

Muzzargh wrote:I'm having the same issue and can't seem to get anywhere??? :-(

Please read the how-to's:

The first one is about broken packages!!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

jymm

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:11:57 am

I have to go to work now, but will give post two a try with the grub menu. I did contact Ubuntu (Canonical) about the update and someone did respond. I believe this to be a problem for anyone that had zramswap-enabler and did the last update. Hopefully they will figure out what went wrong and how to correct it.

erko

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:51:52 pm

Hi Folks!

A routine auto-update appeared on the status bar. I, as usual, encouraged the update. Stuff was update (I think) but, then it stalled on "zramswap-enabler." I've tried everything (terminal & Synaptic Pkg. Mgr) I could to get the file to load, unload, update and here is where it sits . . .

Screenshot-Applying Changes-1.png
Screenshot-Applying Changes-1.png (28.62 KiB)

. . . I don't know where to go from here w/ this issue?!

I need help to get this "routine" update ...updated!

Thank you much, in advance!

~erko

Wolfman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59:37 pm

Hi erko,

you need to put a tick in the box where it says "Automatically close after update".

Secondly, run "dpkg" from the recovery menu after restarting your PC.

Let us know if this solves the problem. There seems to be a bug with this particular package!!.

Once you restart; open Synaptic and type "zramswap" and then locate the package and mark it, then go to "Package" which is on the top on Synaptic and then "Lock Version", this will stop the package from updating and causing a problem!!.

erko

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:56:13 pm

You did good, Wolfman!!!

I employed your . . .

--------------------------------------------

"There are often posts on the forum about "Broken Packages", this How-To should explain how to fix this problem.

You can solve this problem by opening Synaptic > Edit > Fix broken packages. (You may well already be in Synaptic when you see this message!)

You can also run a command to fix this; run this command in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

The third option is to restart your PC and go into "Recovery Mode" and run "dpkg" in the list. When asked if you should continue, press "y" (for yes) and then enter, this will run any updates and repairs it needs to!!. You may have to run "fsck" before "dpkg" appears in the menu!!. This option requires a working cable network connection, it will not work with a WiFi connection!!.

------------------------------------------------------------------

. . . and it worked like a charm!

The updates are now updated!

Thanks, again, Wolfman! :)

~erko

Baz P

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:17:39 pm

wdhpr wrote:Tried madvinegar's solution and it worked like a charm, thanks

I had the same problem yesterday and searched Zorin Group; found this thread and I'm pleased to tell you that it also worked for me.

Thank you madvinegar

madvinegar

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:30:05 pm

Broxie-Daisy wrote:Thank you Madvinegar that worked a treat. :)

comsparks wrote:@ madvinegar, I tried your suggestion and it worked. I also used Bleachbit and ran it in user and root to clean up the HD and everything is running fast. Thank you.

Muzzargh wrote:OK, I did what Madvinegar suggested in post #2 and all is now good with the world :-)

wdhpr wrote:Tried madvinegar's solution and it worked like a charm, thanks

Baz P wrote:I had the same problem yesterday and searched Zorin Group; found this thread and I'm pleased to tell you that it also worked for me.

Thank you madvinegar

You are most welcome guys!

Swarf do you think I should start a fan-club? :lol:

hazzbeen

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:18:17 pm

I'm joining the 'fanclub' too 70 blue jewels

yours and Wolfies instructions fixed my issues too

many thanks

Hazz

Wolfman

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:36:11 pm

Hi,

you can do what I did which was not to use the PPA for Zramswap thus disabling the update:
Software Sources_001.png
Software Sources_001.png (94.79 KiB)

You can do this via software sources > other software > shnatsel/zram PPA

THIS IS A COPY OF ANOTHER THREAD:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2205&p=9076#p9076

jymm

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:21:11 pm

If I am the last, you can mark this one problem solved also. I did go my own way, and it did work. My computer is wireless and I did not want to take it apart and move it. I manually un-installed zramswap-enabler, but left it in the trash (only worked as root). I then rebooted and finished the zramswap update on Ubuntu Update Center even though the program was in the trash. After that I was able to totally remove the program with Synaptic package manager. I also removed the package from my computer. After that I ran conf a and auto clean and auto remove, and all worked. I then downloaded a program to make sure Ubuntu software center worked and completed the rest of my weekly updates. I guess I also learned just because Ubuntu Update Center says I should have a program, it does not mean I need it. I did some reading and many think this program has little value. I have to admit the Ubuntu bug reporting people I e-mailed where helpful, but the problem was confined to only Zorin, so there was little they could really do.
Again thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:10:03 am

Hi all,

here is a link about the zram thingy and what it is for, if you are having problems with the PPA, disable it as described in an earlier post in this thread!!.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/increase ... -with.html