This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] File System Shows as UNKNOWN TYPE

danlifeseven

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:30:02 pm

I have installed Zorin over a Windows 7 installation. I choose the option to use the whole disk and erase Windows 7. No problem. System installed and I have been setting it up with my preferred applications, etc. But, today I noticed something funky. When I go to the file system in Gnome, I see "uknown type" as the file system type. It also shows that I have over 300,000 items at 128.0 TB. I WISH I had a drive in my laptop that big, but alas ... it isn't so. It's an 80GB drive. On the same properties window it shows free space at ~58GB.

How can I fix this? Is this a problem? The system works but I am going out of town and don't want it croaking while I'm away. I would like this to display as it should display. I'm concerned that some partition from Windows 7 go left behind, but I see what looks standard - three partitions.

Thanks for any help provided. :geek:

Wolfman

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:24:22 am

Hi,

when you installed the system; did you pre-format the drive first or simply allowed the Zorin installer to create all your partitions for you??. What you have by the looks of it are the remains of Windows data and that is being misread by Zorin. You should use the format "ext4" for root and home.

I would recommend a fresh install but the next time, pre-format the drive with gparted and do a complete new install, I cannot think of a way that you can do anything otherwise apart from running "fsck" in recovery mode. When you start your PC, press the Esc key and you should see a menu, select the 2nd option which is recovery mode and then select "fsck" and let it do its thing, this may or may not repair the damage you have!!. After you have run fsck, you can also try running "dpkg" from the same menu.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Get Gparted here: (You want Gparted Live Stable ISO and burn it to a disk and boot from it!!.)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

You should have 3 partitions, root (mount point is / (forward slash) which should be about 15 - 20GB max), then swap which should be twice the size of your RAM, also a home partition. using the remaining space on the drive. (mount point is /home).

Hope this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

danlifeseven

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:46:13 pm

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I did just let the installer create the partitions for me and Windows was on the disk before, so I suspect it left behind some info from that. I'll know better next time. Turns out I have to re-install anyway as I need a 32bit version of Linux for a work tool I need to install, so I'll wipe it first this time.

Thanks again!

Wolfman wrote:when you installed the system; did you pre-format the drive first or simply allowed the Zorin installer to create all your partitions for you??. What you have by the looks of it are the remains of Windows data and that is being misread by Zorin. You should use the format "ext4" for root and home.