This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] - Simple driver question

yellow roses

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:46:19 am

I know this is elementary, but I don't see an answer anywhere.

I want to have several linuxes on my computer.

What if one requires one type of graphic card driver.....and another OS needs a different one to work better?

I guess what I really need to know is: does a downloaded driver stick with the hardware / or the OS?

Wolfman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:49:30 am

Hi,

if you are using any Ubuntu based system, the drivers are available through the System Settings menu under Hardware > Additional Drivers, this is for ATI and Nvidia only, from Ubuntu 12.04 onwards, Intel drivers will be automatically installed!!.

Most modern versions of Linux have some kind of graphic card driver installer onboard so the drivers may well be the latest from the graphic card manufacturers!!.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards Wolfman :D

Auldyin

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:34:14 am

"I guess what I really need to know is: does a downloaded driver stick with the hardware / or the OS?"

Simple answer :!: :!: :!: It' the Hardware :!: :!: :!:

Cheers Auldyin

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yellow roses

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29:23 am

Thanks Auldyin, that is what I needed to know. Some OS's you can do up an OS-specific driver, and if I was going to eventually install other OS's....wasn't sure if that would mess up things or not. Looks like it could, so will try the path of least resistance first. :D

URTHJ

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56:44 pm

Auldyin, I'm a bit surprised by your answer--and am willing to be educated! I had always thought that drivers (including downloaded video drivers) don't get loaded until one is past the initial boot stage (where one can enter the BIOS). That is, they get loaded when one specifies which OS one is using, as a part of that OS--i.e., software rather than hardware. Prior to that, it is all "generic." Otherwise, they reside in the CMOS, which I didn't think happened with video drivers.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:34:18 am

Hi URTHJ,

some distro's have the drivers on board and some don't, Intel are fully supported as of 12.04 and additional drivers are available from the system settings menu in the case where after install, the drivers aren't already installed. Up to the point where the OS loads the drivers, it will automatically use opensource drivers if no other drivers are available.

Auldyin

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:11:22 am

Hi all
I knew I would have problems with the "simple answer". :roll:
But answering to the question "I want to have several linuxes on my computer" Linux would have the same drivers matching the Hardwares for all distros.
Surely That was one of the main points of Linux. :?:
I'm now doing a lord Lucan Aldyin
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Auldyin

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38:30 pm

I can't resist it.
Seeing as the Forum has gone all "Biblical" overnight.

Their is only one Linux

In it's house their are many rooms

but it is all the same plumbing

:!: :!: Hallelujah :!: :!: hallelujah :!: :!:

Amen Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42:17 pm

Auldyin wrote:I can't resist it.
Seeing as the Forum has gone all "Biblical" overnight.

Their is only one Linux

In it's house their are many rooms

but it is all the same plumbing

:!: :!: Hallelujah :!: :!: hallelujah :!: :!:

Amen Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D

Yes Auldyin, the next plague is called "Windows 8".