This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Saying good by to Zorin

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:57:38 am

Well after spending hrs upon hrs of trying to run Os 6 RC I have decided to leave Zorin.. It amazes me that after wasting 6 dvd downloading numerous times, I still can't seem to get this thing to load.. All I get is the main screen and that is all.. Next is a grey screen with a blinking cursor nothing else... I do realize this is a RC version, but if this won't install right, how am I to trust that the final version won't give me the same results.. I like Zorin alot, but do not wish to waste any more dvd trying to install this.. I guess I will either stick to windows, or another version of Linux...

Wolfman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22:59 am

Hi,

sorry to hear of your problem, I assume that you burned the DVD's at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, you will get read/write errors on the disk and this will lead to problems with the install !!.

Have you tried one of the burnt disks on another PC and was the result the same??.

I assume you have posted questions about your problems on the forum?.

Regards Wolfman :D

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:07:29 am

I mention it under the other thread going.. I have tried at slow speeds, fast speeds. I downloaded from Ireland and Netherlands check the md5 etc... I really like this particular OS,but it is just to much of a headache to try and download a file and still can't figure out why it won't load.. Like I said all i get is the option page and noting else.. Once it starts it is simply a grey screen with a blinking cursor.. If anyone know of a solution I haven't tried I will be willing to try again.. I also used three different burners with the same luck.. I haven't tried it on a different computer as this is mine.. The other one is my daughters and do not wan't to mess with that.. Would it be better to unhook on of my hd?I have two.. One for windows only and one for Zorin and Mint.

Deadly Ernest

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38:05 am

Did you download the ISO via MSIE or Fire Fox as they suggest?

As the Downloaded image can get some errors in it during the download.

craig10x

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05:36 am

also, if possible, use k3b to burn the iso...it's very reliable....much better then brasero these days...and use the slowest speed on there (which i believe is 3x)...

madvinegar

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:38:28 am

In order to test if the DVD works (so as to establish if the iso is problematic or the burning procedure was faulty) try using it in another pc/laptop.

Just see if it loads to live session. Do not install anything. Try it on your daughter's pc. You will not mess with it by just getting into live session.

Too many of us have downloaded the RC iso many times and have tried it in multiple computers. If there was any problem with the download links, we would had problems as well.

doubledragon5

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:55:03 pm

To answer some of the question. I have tried it in another pc, and it did nothing.. It did get beyound the grey screen with the blue brush looking back ground and the Zorin Logo.. I also had this issue with another disto Mint 13. To help determine if it was not my burner, I burned another copy of Zorin 5.2 and Linux Mint 13.. Next I trid to burn them with Nero instead of Imgbun with the same no good results.. I did use IE 8+FireFox+Google Chrome. I then downoade it on my Zorin 5.2 Os burned and had the same luck.. I will not try the new suggestion mentioned a few post up... I really like this software compared to others, and hope to finally get it working..

MMTMM

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42:05 pm

Are you using the same burner / ROM drive for all these burns? If so, there may be an issue with that burner drive. I've encountered this before, the drive itself was faulty. Even though the drive I had would play music and video CDs and DVDs, I kept getting the same results you are experiencing when burning an OS. I borrowed a spare drive from a friend to test this theory, and sure enough, my drive was the problem. I replaced the drive with a $20 "store brand" and the problem was solved.

Another tip: Whenever I try out a new distro, I always burn it to an RW disc. Not only does it prevent creating coasters, it automatically burns at the lowest speed. Also, check the box to "Verify" the data after the burn.

madvinegar

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:43:42 pm

Also, you have tried burning the iso too many times. Have you tried downloading again the iso? (apologies if you have already mentioned that).

doubledragon5

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55:28 pm

madvinegar wrote:Also, you have tried burning the iso too many times. Have you tried downloading again the iso? (apologies if you have already mentioned that).

Yup I re-downloaded it at lest 6 different times..

doubledragon5

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:58:52 pm

MMTMM wrote:Are you using the same burner / ROM drive for all these burns? If so, there may be an issue with that burner drive. I've encountered this before, the drive itself was faulty. Even though the drive I had would play music and video CDs and DVDs, I kept getting the same results you are experiencing when burning an OS. I borrowed a spare drive from a friend to test this theory, and sure enough, my drive was the problem. I replaced the drive with a $20 "store brand" and the problem was solved.

Another tip: Whenever I try out a new distro, I always burn it to an RW disc. Not only does it prevent creating coasters, it automatically burns at the lowest speed. Also, check the box to "Verify" the data after the burn.

I have a total 3 drives that bun cd/dvd on this computer, one is a external, and the other are internal.. I do not do a lot of burning, but I will be shocked if it turns out all three are bad.. I plan on doing it again, but on my daughters machine to see if it will work.. If it does, than I will have 3 burners that are bad.. But I forgot to mention, I re-burned my Zorin 5.2 and Mint 12 and they ran fine. But I have see weider things happen in my life time of building computers..

doubledragon5

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:51:10 am

I don't get this.. This was successful on downloaded and burning and starting the insatll process on my daughters machine. But when try to install it on mine I get the same results as the last times.. I just can't figure out why it will not work on my machine, which by the way, is a hell of a lot faster and more powerful than hers.. There must be a setting or something that I have to change..

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55:09 am

doubledragon5 wrote:I don't get this.. This was successful on downloaded and burning and starting the insatll process on my daughters machine. But when try to install it on mine I get the same results as the last times.. I just can't figure out why it will not work on my machine, which by the way, is a hell of a lot faster and more powerful than hers.. There must be a setting or something that I have to change..

Hi,

if you have the time and energy, try swapping the drives with your daughters PC and see if it will work on your PC, it could be that your hard drive is knackered and if the disk works fine on your daughters PC, we can rule out a bad burn!!.

Do you both have the same type of drive, by that I mean either SATA or IDE hard drives??.

Try downloading this tool and run it and see if you can find out if your drive has a problem:

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

doubledragon5

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:57:35 am

Hi wolfman ya I tried the swapping of drives, and get the same results with her drives on my machine.. I even used her cables. Never in my life have I had this much of a hard time installing software... Just a little note.. I've been on the Mint site, and it seems that there a people who are having the same issues. They like me have a AMD machine, with a nvidia graphics card... I can't install their new version either as it acts just like Zorin 6.. Could it be a issue with machines with AMD processors? My daughters is a Intel.. I will check my drives with the link thanks..

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49:43 am

Hi DD,

I don't think it has anything to do with AMD or Nvidia as I have an AMD PC with and Nvidia card!!.

What you might want to check is your CD/DVD drive and make sure that the "drive jumper" is not set to "Cable Select", this can cause all sorts of problems with the PC in general!!. It should only be set to "Master or Slave".

Another thing you might want to try is to reset the "Master Jumper" on your motherboard should the cable select thingy prove negative!!.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

doubledragon5

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:35:00 am

Hi Wolfman

Ok I reset the bios, now when you run the dvd it goes to the usual grey screen for a second, then the screen goes blank. When that happens I have to restart the pc, just to eject the disk... I have to do this with all three drives.. Just a reminder my daughters dvd rom I used to burn this and successfully install on her machine will not work on this pc either..

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:59:14 am

Hi DD,

well I'm kinda out of ideas now, unless if you have a completely blank HDD lying around somewhere that you can try out I don't have anything else to offer you, if it (the disk) installs on your daughters PC but not yours, it must be the PC!!!!. What exactly the problem could be is anyones guess!!.

Have you tried a lighter version of Linux and/or the recovery disk from your PC and do/did they work??.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:10:32 am

Hi DD,

I just had another thought, try swopping the SATA/IDE cables on the motherboard around, if your HDD is connected to SATA/IDE1; change it to SATA/IDE2 and do the same with the CD/DVD drive!!.

doubledragon5

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15:28 am

Hi Wolfman just did that. Now I physically installed my daughters dvd-rom in my machine.. Before I just had it out of the box.. I'm also redownloading and going to reburn probably my 20th dvd to see if I have any luck.. Now if it does the same, then I'm at a lost... If it did ok on my kids machine, then I can't see why even with her dvd-rom in mine why it should not finally work...

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:17:05 pm

DD,

did you check the "Cable select" jumper thingy that I mentioned in an earlier post :?: .

doubledragon5

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:23:03 pm

Wolfman wrote:DD,

did you check the "Cable select" jumper thingy that I mentioned in an earlier post :?: .

Yes set it to master/slave. Even with my daughters dvd-rom and a redownload of Zorin 6rc still no go...

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38:35 pm

Hi DD,

how new is your PC and does it come with the UEFI thing (I think its also called ARM).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

PS:

When I talked about Cable Select, I meant on the DVD drive!!. :idea:

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:28:45 pm

Hi DD,

here is something that may help you out although I cannot gaurantee it!!:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... stemrescue

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14:44 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi DD,

how new is your PC and does it come with the UEFI thing (I think its also called ARM).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

PS:

When I talked about Cable Select, I meant on the DVD drive!!. :idea:

Hi wolfman
My pc is 6yrs old, and it has the phoenix bios. I do not believe from the article that it comes with uefi

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:16:49 am

Another question. how would I go about trying to install OS 6 from the desktop of OS 5.2 if it is possible..

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:27:48 am

Ok so I think I got it installed. I did this by putting back in my old video card XFX 9800 GTX+. I removed my new video card ASUS Nvidia GTX 550ti. But for some reason they new grub loader is not installed is it still the old version? Next when I get to the desktop it is still Zorin 5.2. If I reboot and go to previous version same thing Zorin 5.2. So my question would be were is Zorin 6? or how do I find out which one is actually running..

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:54:23 am

Well it is finally installed.. Had to wipe my hd and do all over again.. No my graphics card did not work out of the box.. So far it seems like OS 5.2 with a few changes. Now I going to play around with it for a few days.. i did all the updates from update manager.. My sound is still choppy like it was under OS 5.2 any ideas on how to make it more clearer? I hope you guys can come up with a solution to he graphics problem. I would like to install my new graphics card and have it running. But for now, I will stick with the old, at least until the final release comes out.. Thanks for all the help, and No I'm not saying good bye to Zorin after all LOL...

Wolfman

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:47:02 am

Hi DD,

well thats a start at least, glad to hear we are nearly there.

To find out which version you have you can simply look in the control center at the system details, where did you download the ISO from??, did you get it from here??..

http://www.zorin-os.com/releasecandidate.html

or from here:

http://www.zorin-os.com/free.html

Please read this how-to if you have version 6:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Please read these how-to's about software sources and updating:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

And this one about sound:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

I think that that is all the bases covered for now, let us know how you get along!!.

And your quote:

"Thanks for all the help, and No I'm not saying good bye to Zorin after all LOL..."

Is great to hear :D

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:12:12 pm

Hi wolfman, it say Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I assume because Zorin 6 is based off of Ubuntu that would be correct.. The link I got the original download from

(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2055) first post.. Then I re-downloaded again from the links in post 5. Like I said I did a complete wipe of the hd to get it installed as for some reason, even though it was originally installed it indeed only showed Zorin 5.2. So now without a doubt it is in fact OS 6. So far so good it does look a lot different and I hope that the sound issue and video will be addressed on the final release.. I look forward to it coming out and probably will donate by purchasing the Ultimate copy.. You guys have done a lot without asking form much in return, my appreciation to all the hard work you guy do..

Wolfman

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:30:33 pm

Hi DD,

for sound:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

doubledragon5

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:07:59 pm

Sure we can do that LOL.....