This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) I Need Help!!!!

Draidon

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:04:56 pm

This has been my first time using a Linux based OS and i am trying execute programs and dont know how. Currently i am trying to run FanCon so I can control them. Problem is I dont know how to run any programs, it just pops up window after window. Thanks in advance for helping the newb... lol

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12:42 pm

Hi and welcome,

what version of Zorin are you using and exactly what do you mean by windows are just opening??.

Are you double clicking on the menu list, this would cause more than one window of the same prog to open!!.

If you downloaded an external package of "FanCon", you will first have to extract it and then install it, it is in the repo so just open Synaptic and install it from there!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Draidon

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17:25 pm

thanks for the welcoming, ive extracted the files but havent figured out how to install it. and im running 5.2 64 bit

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31:16 pm

Hi,

have you checked Synaptic like I suggested, I am using Zorin 6 and have a different repo list to you!!.

You might want to check out this how-to about software sources:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

Draidon

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36:07 pm

I just installed the OS last night and currently updating the os in update manager. Its extremely slow but making progress. I havent went into it just yet because i wanted to wait for updates to finish. Probably going to ask for a restart when finished. I havent looked at Synaptic or where it is located, that may sound stupid... lol. I am pretty handy with windows but am tired of their greedy behavior so i wanted something new. I appreciate your quick responses though. I have a motherboard disc that has my utilities on it but the Os wont autorun. Is autorun a feature that linux doesnt have

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39:42 pm

Draidon wrote:I just installed the OS last night and currently updating the os in update manager. Its extremely slow but making progress. I havent went into it just yet because i wanted to wait for updates to finish. Probably going to ask for a restart when finished. I havent looked at Synaptic or where it is located, that may sound stupid... lol. I am pretty handy with windows but am tired of their greedy behavior so i wanted something new. I appreciate your quick responses though. I have a motherboard disc that has my utilities on it but the Os wont autorun. Is autorun a feature that linux doesnt have

Your motherboard disk is not really suitable for Linux (might have Wifi drivers which could be of use!) as it is for Windows and MAC most likely.

Browse through the how-to section of the forum if you have other questions, it may well already have the answers for you!!.

Draidon

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:30:16 pm

Hey man ive got it installed thanks but now if you could just tell me how to run it i will be set. Thanks for the crash course

Draidon

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:24:55 pm

i just went into the motherboard at the start up and changed the level, thank you for helping me understand this os a little better though