This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Do I need a home partition?

MrHappyGoLucky12

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:33:23 pm

I have a dual boot with Windows and Zorin OS. For Windows, I have a partition for my operating system and a partition for my documents.

In Zorin, I have the partition for Zorin, the swap partition, and the home partition, but I don't use the home partition; I just use the partition from my Windows documents that is accessible through Zorin to save files on.

Do I need a home partition if I don't use it? Can I delete it and get that space back where I need it?

Auldyin

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:23:30 pm

Hi MrHappyGoLucky12

Glad your up and running. I Think you need the home Partition Zorin puts a lot of stuff in the home folder If you open it and show hidden files you will see them. Press F8 for the menu and also F3 and F7 are very useful.
Whether the home folder needs to be in the home partition I don't know but if you removed the home partition you would probably have to increase the size of the Zorin partition.

Cheers Aldyin
:) :) :) :) :)

MrHappyGoLucky12

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:35:07 pm

What about shrinking it? What's the minimum size for a home partition?

Auldyin

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05:34 am

"What's the minimum size for a home partition?"

No definite answer to that you can run linux on 10GB but if you want a fully functioning modern O.S. with all the multimedia of today and the future you will need more room.

I have a 60GB Home partition and after 8 months it's 43% full. If in the future I need more room Iv'e always got a 80Gb Windows partition I no longer use. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Cheers Auldyin

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Wolfman

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:32:52 pm

Hi,

you can shrink it using Gparted partitioning tool but you may not want to shrink it by much as you never know when you will need more space. Yuldyin has pointed out the fact that home holds all your system config files and you won't be able to run anything if you delete home!!.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Regards Wolfman :D

Auldyin

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:52:06 pm

Wolfman

Yuldyin Yuldyin Yuldyin

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wolfman

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:44:52 pm

Auldyin wrote:Wolfman

Yuldyin Yuldyin Yuldyin

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hi Auldyin,

sorry but I was in a hurry and I didn't bother to proof read it, you can use it as an alias!! :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D