This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6 Lite - Many Issues - Linux Newbie!

Coedy

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38:43 pm

Hi everyone.
After an hour or so of installing Zorin os 6 lite it finally finished and said an upgrade was due. (12.04 I think it was?)
After downloading and installing this upgrade everything has gone crazy. the software center doesn't open. It just crashes and offers to send a bug report. The system information says its Lubuntu, not Zorin. The background had changed, and various other very strange little bugs.

Windows like Synaptic package manager etc have white text on the light backgrounds...(this was even the case before installing the 'upgrade' though..)

Any ideas?

I'm a little let down to be honest, I'm impressed by the speed of it, but the functionality is definitely lacking... (Im comparing it to Linux Mint, which I had before trying this which seemed to work fine straight after the box and after any updates it offered me, it was just incredibly slow by comparison).

Thanks!

madvinegar

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:00:24 pm

Hi!
Zorin 6 lite is based on ubuntu 11.10

I am afraid that when you did the update/upgrade you upgraded to a later version of ubuntu.
Unfortunately Zorin does not work like this. The versions of zorin are not upgradable. You only do the updates but not the distribution upgrades.

If things have been messed up like that, I would suggest to you to perform a clean installation and this time, go to the update manager and set to "never" the distribution upgrades.

You could give a shot in trying to fix the packages by pluging an ethernet cable to your PC, reboot, on the grub menu select the recovery mode (usually 2nd option) and then from the new menu choose and run "dpkg". This will carry out the necessary updates and fix broken packages (if any).

Coedy

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:39:00 pm

Hi. Thanks! I didnt know! :oops:

It's good that I can disable them in future though.
I will re-install now.

EDIT-

NEW PROBLEM

On the desktop there is no Home or System folder...Or even a trash can?

How can I get these items? As otherwise I have no way of getting into my files... :? :x :x :x

Wolfman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23:18 am

Hi,

please read through the how-to section:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1732

Regards Wolfman :D

MMTMM

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28:57 am

Coedy wrote:
On the desktop there is no Home or System folder...Or even a trash can?

How can I get these items? As otherwise I have no way of getting into my files... :? :x :x :x

For the Home folder, go to Start > Accessories > and right click on File Manager. You will get a pop-up menu with two options, one being "Add to desktop". As for System and Trash...no clue, but clicking on the File Manager folder that is now on your desktop, you can access both of those.

There probably is a way to get the other two on the desktop, but it will require some deeper tweaking.

madvinegar

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:39:48 am

Please read this simple "how to" on how to remove these icons from the desktop.

Follow the instructions but in the end see if the icons are "ticked".

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1526

Coedy

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:09:32 am

madvinegar wrote:Please read this simple "how to" on how to remove these icons from the desktop.

Follow the instructions but in the end see if the icons are "ticked".

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1526

I thought the Lite version was not gnome based. I tried this originally but it didnt work so I thought that is why..

Ive got the home icon working... is there a way to empty the trash when you shut down?

Only reason I ask is that its on my parents primary machine. They will definitely forget to empty it if its not on the desktop...

Wolfman

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:15:27 am

Hi ,

Zorin Lite is based on Lubuntu so anything you want to know about it you can find out via this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

You can install Gnome/KDE apps if you wish.

I don't know how to set "Trash" to empty on shutdown sorry!!.

Regards Wolfman :D