This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) No Dual Boot Menu After Installing OS 5 Ultimate

pastorbirt

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:18:48 pm

I installed Zorin OS 5 on my laptop today. My computer recently crashed. I used my Windows 7 recovery disks to restore my computer to factory original settings. After installing Windows I installed Zorin OS 5 Unltimate.

The Zorin OS 5 disk worked fine except for an error:

"The panel encountered a problem while loading:

"NotificationAreaAppletFactory::NotificationArea"

Do you want to delete the applet form your configuration?"

Since I am new to Zorin/Linux and I don't knoiw what this is I answered no.

I selected to install along side Windows and chose the default settings except that I increased the size of the Zorin partition to 50 GB. After installing when I reboot I get an error saying:

"error: no such device: d0de556a-0924-4ca7-a263-cadfd3e263c9.
grub rescue>"

Not having a clue what "grub rescue" is or what to type at the prompt, and being unable to boot to Windows, I used the Windows recovery disk once again.

So where did I go wrong? What can I do to fix this error.

FYI: I did run the MD5 Check Sum software recommended and found the check sum to be correct.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:57:44 am

Hi,

please take a look at this how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Burn a disk and repair GRUB with it!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

pastorbirt

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:51:12 pm

Thanks for the help. I will attempt to install Zorin OS 5 again in the next couple of weeks. I just have to find a time that I can be without my computer for a couple of days just in case things still don't go well. Once again, thanks for the quick responses.

Pastor Birt

pastorbirt

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48:50 am

Just a quick note... Today I successfully installed Zorin OS as a dual boot with Windows. In fact, I'm in Zorin right now entering this message. This time there were no problems. I didn't need the "Boot Repair" disk, though I have it now just in case there's a problem in the future. Now all I have to do is learn how to do anything in Zorin/Linux. I'm a newbie and a bit lost.

Pastor Birt