This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] corrupt program, can I delete it?

jymm

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:37:49 pm

I had a program called zramswap-enable. During the weekly Ubuntu update the update failed and froze my updater. I cannot remove the program as it is to corrupted. It has caused Synaptic to crash when ever I try to use it. I downloaded it in the terminal, but it freezes on install. I downloaded the file but cannot install (using Ubuntu software center or gdebi) it as it says I have a newer version and Synaptic crashes. I cannot right now update, install or un-install anything.

My question. I did a search and found all the parts (packages) of the program. Can I delete them all without harming my system? Will this work? Will the system let me delete the packages?

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I might have to re-install, which I would hate to do.'

Thanks ahead of time for any info.

madvinegar

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:47:30 pm

Try this.
Plug an ethernet cable.
Reboot and from the grub menu choose the recovery mode (usually the 2nd option).
From the new menu choose "dpkg". This will update the system and fix broken packages (if any).

When you get to your desktop open terminal and write:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoclean

and
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

This will remove and clean any unecessary and broken packages.

jymm

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32:51 pm

Problem solved. Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I found that esteenson88 "ZRamSwap-Installer from Update Package Manager "Stuck"" has the same problem and added to his post. Please go there to read my terminal output and help.