This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Where is network mount point in the File system?

zorfan

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:03:10 am

After successfully accessing the network, for example "smb://192.168.1.2/public" I cannot find it in the File System. I can find for example a mounted fat32 partition "/media/3E6D-29DA" but not the network mount point. I need this because I wish to use a file comparator and the two destinations to be compared need to be accessed via the expanded file system.

In Puppy Linux for example, the network mount point in the file system is: /mnt/network/192.168.1.2/public

I cannot find the comparable Zorin network mount point. Does anyone know where to look?

I have tried many Linux distributions but none have come close to allowing me to quit Windows. Zorin however has proved to be a golden find, everything works perfectly and I could forget Windows forever as long as I can use my file comparator, which runs in wine and thus needs to open the appropriate locations via the file system.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:10:08 pm

Hi,

I am not quite sure if this is what you want but you can take a look:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

And:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/servergui ... ystem.html

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

zorfan

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01:23 am

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is not that I cannot mount the network. I have already mounted the network via the GUI, I can see and use the network directories. My problem is that I cannot find the assigned location (or mount point) on the Zorin file system tree.

I assume that since the network is mounted, there must be a mount point in the directory tree, my question is where is this mount point located in the Zorin directory tree? It isn't located where I would expect it to be such as /media/network/.... or /mnt/network/....

The notes on Fstab for example seem superfluous because I am not looking to mount the network, it is already mounted, but where?

zorfan

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14:16 pm

Finally found out where to access the network mount point in the file system (once it is mounted via the Zorin File manager).

For instance when Public has been mounted on the local network server located at 192.168.1.2, it can be found at:

/home/abcd/.gvfs/Public on 192.168.1.2/ where abcd is the "username" on the Zorin system.

With this now solved (I did some reverse engineering) I must say that Zorin 5 os is without any doubt the best Linux distro I have ever found and fully competes with the MS Windows 7 bloated system which has too many user restrictions for my liking. DRM etc.

Don't ruin everything in version 6 (I've tried Zorin 6 Lite and it sucks).

Wolfman

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:57:00 pm

Hi,

glad to hear you fixed your problem, Zorin 6 Lite is based on Lubuntu and has very few packages installed as does any Lite version of an OS!!.

Zorin 6 Core Final is also out now!! :D :D :D :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2232

Regards Wolfman :D