This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Version comparison list

bluesman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:51:48 pm

I am a long term Windows stalwart that has now been tempted to try out a Linux based distro and I see that there are a number of editions available.

What I can't seem to find is a comparison list of what each edition is bundled with.

The Premium Edition would potentially seem the most attractive but there is nothing that I can see that allows me to compare the contents with the Free version in order to know which one will be best for me.

I have no problem donating to obtain Premium but would like to compare with the other editions.

Can somebody point me in the direction of such a comparison list/table?

Thanks.

bluesman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:34:54 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
bluesman wrote:I am a long term Windows stalwart that has now been tempted to try out a Linux based distro and I see that there are a number of editions available.

What I can't seem to find is a comparison list of what each edition is bundled with.

The Premium Edition would potentially seem the most attractive but there is nothing that I can see that allows me to compare the contents with the Free version in order to know which one will be best for me.

I have no problem donating to obtain Premium but would like to compare with the other editions.

Can somebody point me in the direction of such a comparison list/table?

Thanks.

Can't say what will be different on 6 but this is what came with my Ultimate version of 5.0:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=177&hilit=+Dexter#p802

Also as quoted by someone else on here, the different editions cater for people's specific interests and the software that comes with these can be downloaded via Ubuntu Software Centre or Synaptics Package Manager - it just saves you the hassle of installing the softwares you would like to have from scratch.

The principle difference between paid and core, or should I say 'significant', is that you don't get a full 'look changer' with core - you do with the Premium editions, plus you also get Zorin Background Plus - with this you can have an animated desktop. For example, for a German student who was with us for a while I downloaded a YouTube video of his favourite Soccer team playing as his desktop with some useful icons - normally, Beryl would not let you do this but you can with Zorin Plus because you can adjust the transparency and state which icons should 'always be on top'.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. Much appreciated :D