This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] zramswap-enabler and fatal server error? Again??!!

henriQ

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:43:56 am

Greetings,
This is my first post here and i'm pleading for objective help, taking in consideration that i also a self-confessed linux ignoramus and a Windows outraged drop-out.
I migrated to ZORIN OS (5.2) -- i was not able to install RC 6 once it twice stopped producing a blank monitor with a blinking sarcastic cursor and
nothing more. But 5.2 has been a very useful tool enabling me to perform basic pc operations without being intimidated by esoteric mumbo-jumbo
requirements which i would not respond correctly -- my ignorance done. For a while i enjoyed much happiness thinking i found a wonderful tool to
work, forgetting Windows perversity... Well except for the somewhat amatteurish building of some "applications" which DO NOT comply with their
working description, such as Ksnapshot, Pdf editor and a substantial bunch of others which are either buggy or simply refuse to perform...Except
for those i was grateful for ZORIN existence, but then...
Then i corresponded to all the so-called Updates proposal warnings and my problems begun.
I had thrice to format and re-install the OS. And today i received the 4th " msg plus invitation", after dpkg paralised in its middle course:
Zramswap-enabler package is in very bad inconsistant state -- you should reinstall it and then attempt configuration.
Fatal server error.
This situation is huge challenge for me to face. Having to backup all the my files again. loosing all the applications i meanwhile installed (all from
Ubuntu software Center -- i would know how to install otherwise or from elsewhere -- "apt-gets" and "makes make files" are misterious scripts
from an alien language i feel little patience to learn, i regret to declare. Enough maudelling.
Now my queries are as follows:
1 - is there any SIMPLE procedure at my reach to mend and recWhatuperate the above described repeated tragedy? What may it be? Please
take in consideration the status quo of my 2nd line above.
2 - Can i -- without incurring in major problems AGAIN -- re-instal ZORIN for the fourth time and refuse any and all subsequent msgs for Updating downloads and installments ? If not -- what type of updates should i avoid and deny in the future?

This is a grotesc scene and I must declare that disgrafuly my situation, in this context, is such that would provoke die-hard Windows users and proselits to bursts with teary high laughs.
And will very much appreciate any realy helpfull advise for both my above quests.
H

Wolfman

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53:48 am

Hi and welcome,

did you see this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2156

And this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2061

Regards Wolfman :D

henriQ

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:12:55 pm

Yes i tried the recover option in the initial MBR menu but whatever action resulted in a complete freeze of the sys.
I'm re-installing Zorin again (and perhaps PINGUY too), please inform objectively what are the items (their usual description/s) to avoid and/or refuse
in the future, once i'm reaching the edge limit of my patience about this issue -- after all the zram swap was depicted as an improvement leading to
better and faster performances, was n't it ???

Wolfman

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:26:51 pm

Hi,

you can do what I did which was not to use the PPA for Zramswap thus disabling the update:

Software Sources_001.png
Software Sources_001.png (94.79 KiB)

You can do this via software sources > other software > shnatsel/zram PPA

Regards Wolfman :D

henriQ

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04:41 pm

Will do. Thanks kindly.
Regards,
H