This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't Install Zorin 6

Vinstradamus

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:25:17 pm

Tried from DVD, from Uni Putin The Russian Version :)

Tried changing bios to pick different drive at start up, computer shutdown

and when I booted back up, nothing changed.

Seems there are no answers out there from Zorin Guru's Worldwide.

I have an acer aspire laptop with Vista Home Premium.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43:13 pm

Hi,

did you burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, you will get read/write errors on the disk!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:50:37 am

Finally Got Zorin working but a few issues have come up that weren't present before.

How do I uninstall Zorin without losing my data on my C Drive as it was imported to Zorin and when I deleted

some files on the drive while in Zorin it also messed with the windows side. Also installing Zorin has caused some other

issues as well, see video.

Thanks

http://screencast.com/t/ND7LP0kl

Wolfman

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:00:36 am

Hi,

your Linux partitions won't show in Windows; that is why you cannot see them, when you say get back disk space, do you mean resizing the Linux partitions?? because that is the only way you will get back disk space.

With the bootloader, when you installed the OS, you should have selected "sda1" MBR which is where your bootloader should go, if you want to, you can download boot repair for future use.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

To repair the boot manager using the Zorin disk, boot the live CD and open a terminal and type:

sudo update-grub

This will also repair the bootloader.

If I were you, I would start again this time making sure you don't import files and resize your partitions to the rquired size, also don't encrypt your folders!!. (Windows will not read Linux files/partitions!)

For partitioning see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

See also the post install guide for Zorin 6:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:19:53 am

Well at this point I want to remove Zorin and Restore my computer to the way it was before i installed Zorin. Im just concerned about that import files thing as when the Acer account was changed on the Zorin Side it effected the windows side so if I remove Zorin will that now mess up my windows side from Booting up? I dont have a zorin disk but I do have Zorin burned to the Memory Stick. Basically Im looking for the simplest way to restore my computer back to the way it was before Zorin was installed and to have all the D Drive Back to its original Memory Availability.

Thanks

Wolfman

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27:15 am

Hi,

if you have Gparted, you can simply use that to delete all the Linux partitions and then use it to resize your Windows partitions, you will need the Windows recovery CD (or Boot Repair) to recover the MBR once you have deleted the Linux partitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9xbZ-EX58

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30:20 am

Acer Comps dont come with a Windows Recovery CD, the recovery aspect is in one of the drives in the computer itself. And I tried that G Parted Thing but it allowed me to delete if I choose one partition, the One Ext4 and The other that Zorin says to delete didnt have the delete option. Btw what is the MBR?

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:31:22 am

Btw I have Vista Home Premium not Windows 7 if that makes a difference

Wolfman

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39:08 am

If you don't have a recovery disk, be very careful or you will lose Vista, it doesn't make much difference whether you have W7 or Vista, the principal is the same. I hope you didn't delete the system partition where your recovery info is stored on your hard drive, without a disk, you will be screwed.

Start Vista and see if you have an option to create a Vista recovery disk before you try to remove Linux!!.

http://oem.windowsreinstall.com/acer/ac ... ydisks.htm

Hope this helps.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:40:20 am

PS:

MBR is "Master Boot Record" where the bootloader is located so you can boot your operating system!! :D

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:47:24 am

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:54:03 am

WHen I create the recover disk will and reinstall will it change all my current programs on my computer and or remove things like bookmarks etc or just create a recovery disk with all the current info on my computer then I can just re install and it will be back to normal as it was at this date and time with all original info intact?

Wolfman

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:58:01 am

Hi,

from what I can tell from your vid, those are the 3 normal Linux partitions which you should be able to delete, your only problem afterwards is to make sure you can repair the MBR afterwards which is why I suggest the Boot repair disk with which, you can recover your MBR no problem!!.

Did you check to see if you can create a recovery disk??, I would advise you to do that and to backup all your data in case of a mishap!!. do not start deleting anything until you have a recovery disk!!!!.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:15:50 am

You might want to take a look at the Acer Recovery Store, please don't ask me if this costs anything as I don't know!!.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:43:36 pm

it seems I do have an option, i can choose to restore to factory or current configuration and files however when I choose that it was allowing me just to pick and choose files and it said my disk was to small. I have another solution is worse comes to worse. I have something called wipe drive by White Canyon Software. It will completely wipe off everything from the drive except the operation system and I think I can even get rid of the operation system as well or choose which one to get rid of in this case so I may go that route and start over.

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:35:11 pm

Thats it, im creating my own OS, Im calling it, Snorin :). Btw the OS is pretty good, but the quality of graphics and video quality is not nearly as good as on my Vista Platform. Maybe this is just a matter of setting up Display Preferences and updating drivers, i dont know but in general I think Zorin is pretty decent, has some cool features, But it also won't run alot of programs I currently use and need and I installed opera on it and when I went to yahoo.com it kept directing me to m.yahoo.com a mobile version of the site which I have no idea what thats about as Opera on vista still brings me to yahoo.com. For now I can't afford to have my machine down so I backed up everything on my WD Passport Drive and deleted everything I don't absolutely use or need on my computer freeing up a bit more drive space. I will spend a little more time to see if I can optimize Zorin for my needs, If I can eventually I may get the premium version. My over all feeling is, the OS is good but still in it's baby stages of development, maybe a year from now or more it will be more compatible to run PC Windows Type Programs and have better graphics and video quaility etc so I think I will wait a bit for the premium version as it makes no sense to have to keep switching back and forth from one OS to another to Run Different Programs, if an OS can't run all the Programs I need and Use then its not for me, at least at this time.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:26:55 pm

Hi,

Yahoo has a thing called "Yahoo Mobile" and they seem convinced that the world wants it and that is why you got directed there, it has nothing to do with Zorin/Opera/Firefox.

If you don't install the additional drivers from the control center, you may well have graphics problems, although you cannot run all Windows apps on Linux, the are a couple of progs that may well help you, or you can find a similar Linux prog to run.

http://www.winehq.org/

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

http://www.linuxalt.com/

You must also fully update your system before it will run correctly:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:58:40 pm

So far I just backed up my Programs, Downloads, Docs Videos etc on my 500 Gig Passport Drive. I did answer yest but I can still see my docs etc in Windows but their is also a Pic of the Acer Hard Drive on My Zorin Desktop. My question is, can I use Wipe Drive from White Canyon to wipe everything off the Drive except the Windows OS. I believe I can. I would probably try for another Install For Zorin after that now that I now a little more how to do it and I just found out some main programs I use for investing will run on Linux however. Here is a simple example, Skype for instance has linux options but none for Zorin so will it work on Zorin or do u pick Unbunta etc? I want to see if I can optimize Zorin to Work for My Needs, if I can it it works well I will be their biggest Fan.

Vinstradamus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00:19 pm

I dont think my home folder in Zorin has anything in it, but there is a picture of my Acer Hard Drive on Zorin Desktop with Files in it, Perhaps I should back up that version as well as my windows version on to my Passport Drive.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34:24 am

Hi,

only go for a recovery once you have a complete recovery CD in the hand and you are certain it will work!!, as long as the Vista number is still on the PC, you should be able to download one from Acer.

Vista is on its way out anyway so you might want to take a look at the Win8 preview version which is a freebie!!. (Don't ask me if it will stop working once the real version comes out because I don't know!!)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Vinstradamus

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55:27 pm

See if Im going to do that I might as well use Wipe Drive, it will wipe off everything on the drive except Windows OS.

Wolfman

Can I use the Recovery Program in Acer to get a back up disk of The original Vista OS and Burn it to My WD Passport Backup Drive?

As a DVD is to small, not enough memory.

Probably what Im going to do eventually, if I can do it successfully is clean all drives, reinstall windows then reinstall Zorin Hopefully Correctly

and then Update all the Zorin Drivers etc and start to use it for a while. Both my Trading Charts and Trading Platform can apparently run on Linux

so I really would like to ditch windows if I can.

Vinstradamus

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:03:15 pm

Wolfman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36:11 pm

Hi,

I would like I have already stated, make sure that you can get a recovery disk from Acer before you do anything else, it is important to note that you don't seem to have a recovery partition on your hard drive and you will need the disk.

Copy all your data to your external drive before commencing with anything. Once you create the recovery disk, you can use that to completely wipe the drive, you don't need $20,00 software, you can also use "Gparted" to complete the task.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:48:25 am

Hi,

btw; here is the official describtion of how to replace Zorin with Windows on your PC:

http://zorin-os.com/uninstallguide.html

Vinstradamus

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51:26 am

Yo Wolfy

Want to see something interesting about ole Billy BoB?

http://www.salem-news.com/​articles/june122012/​monsanto-gates-dp.php

Wolfman

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:27:01 am

Hi Vin,

the link is dead I'm afraid!!.

How's it going btw??, are you sorted now or wot??.

Vinstradamus

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:43:19 pm

Just copy and paste the whole link, its not dead just didnt post correctly and btw there is alot more where that came from, I had a friend who was Close Friends with someone in a Very High Place. I can assure you what Alex Talks about much of it is in fact True. Cheers. The only thing to Fear is Nothing :) just be aware as Ignorance is not bliss, it's just plain Stupid :) My mantra for this year.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:29:01 am

Hi,

I read the article and history will repeat itself like it did in 1930's Nazi Germany and we all know what it leads to!!.

I for one will boycott any gene manipulated foodstuff and would be very very weary of gene manipuldated humans!!.