This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

xp classic

danneauxs

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:12:59 pm

Just found and installed Zorin-OS. Played around a bit and have got to say it runs well on my old P3-700Mhz computer LOL.

Ok, to the point. Aside from myself I want to set my dad up with Zorin. He's ok with XP but he's 75 and while he CAN learn new things he'd rather just have it the same old way since he's learned computer by memorizing how to do things - he doesn't care at all WHY you do things a certain way just wants results. Ok, he uses XP now but since I set his computer up and I prefer "classic" style start button that's what he's used to. When my sister uses his computer and switches it away from classic he always calls complaining and I don't blame him.

I love the look chooser but is there a "look" for the XP classic start menu? I know enough to install and use linux but... I'm looking to learn and would like to eventually switch over to linux and Zorin looks pretty good. I'd like to keep the whole family on the same distro so I can help them all. If Zorin ran on my old test pc then it's at the top of the list as long as I can provide remote support like I do now in Teamviewer.

Ok, suggestions for a more XP like look at least.

thanks in advance
Danneauxs

danneauxs

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:34:45 pm

Thanks, and thanks for the web site. Guess I'll be spending the week after work discovering what's out there for Zorin. Maybe a quick peek at the docs too to find out what all these different windows managers are about; Gnome, KDE etc.

Also, now that I know Teamviewer works in Zorin quite well I feel better since I can remote with dad if he has issues.

Thanks Again
Danneauxs

Wolfman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25:29 am

Hi,

in the free version of Zorin, there are 3 options for you, Win7, Win XP and Gnome 2, you can use the "Look Changer" to select which of the desktops you would like!!.

http://www.zorin-os.com/gallery.html

Regards Wolfman :D

danneauxs

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:25:59 am

swarfendor437 - thanks again!

Icons and backgrounds help a lot believe me! A few weeks ago I installed Puppy Linux on my dad's computer. Mainly because it was the only disc I had at his house. I keep it there so when Windows blows it's brains out I can boot live to it since it runs quickly in live mode.
Thing is I forgot to change the grub4dos menu entries so windows boots by default and his power went out and puppy loaded itself.

He called yesterday and I kept telling him to click on the start button in the bottom left corner to bring up the menu system. He was totally lost because it wasn't START but instead MENU. Once I told him to ignore what it said and go though the motions he got it fine.

Ok I'm going to try and upload a image of what I'm looking for. It's not so much the START button icon itself though that's really cool but the look of the menu when you click the start button

The classic menu is what I want.

classicstart.JPG
CLASSIC START MENU
classicstart.JPG (26.41 KiB)

STANDARD XP.JPG
STANDARD MENU
STANDARD XP.JPG (36.91 KiB)

danneauxs

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:49:43 pm

What's the point of the QUICK REPLY button if your reply never shows up!

Thanks that looks great. It's close enough that there's hardly a learning curve at all. I know it sounds a bit dumb needing to do this but it seems someone visiting always screws up my parent's windows install by installing this that program or browser plugin. Much easier to fix linux than windows. Dad only pops on his computer now and then, like only a couple of hours a month at best so he tends to forget something I explain to him the last time he used it and tends to remember things he's seen and done exactly the same for years. Mostly I think because he really doesn't have much interest in learning something he doesn't use much. Both him, my mom, and aunts/uncles are the same, it's a tool the use occasionally and it's amazing what the figure out on their own when they want to learn and I'm not available LOL. Mom wouldn't use it for years till I showed her how to shop on amazon for things she couldn't find locally.

Thanks again, didn't mean for anyone to go to much trouble just wanted to pick some brains if the info was out there and save some time so I could get out and build my new deck instead of reading hundreds of threads.

Thanks again
Danneauxs