This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6 and awn panel

granul

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:10:23 pm

I installed Zorin 6 Ultimate 64bits, it's lokking very good :-)

How can we add the date beside the time on the panel?

Is it possible to make the panel all transparent?

Thank you

Wolfman

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03:45 am

Hi,

for the date, make sure you have installed "dconf-tools" and then open the configuration editor:

Dconf Editor > Com > Canonical > Indicator > Datetime > Show Date/Show Day

The panel can be adjusted by right clicking next to the start button and then on "Dock Preferences" and make any changes there!!. (I assume you are talking about the Avant Panel and not Gnome 2 mode!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

granul

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41:37 am

Thankyou

For adding the date on the panel it work with the Dconf Editor

But for the transparency of the awn panel, the indicator always stays grey no mater what change I do, i tried changing theme but it stays grey,

Wolfman

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30:00 pm

Hi,

take a look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714111

Bladefish

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12:04 pm

I am also trying to make the awn indicator applet transparent. The link to ubuntuforums is referring to the awn indicator applet. However, Zorin OS 6 ships with the awn indicator 3 applet, which I cannot change the background for. I'm assuming that granul is talking about this. I installed the awn indicator applet, but it's just blank. I cannot right-click on either the indicator applet or the notification applet, as noted in the ubuntuforums link, so those steps are not possible here.

Any ideas?

Wolfman

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22:40 pm

Hi chaps,

all I have to offer is: AWN settings > Theme (select a theme) > Customize

I don't use it myself, maybe someone else on the forum has an idea ?.

Did you install the plugin pack as suggested here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2061

Bladefish

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41:18 pm

Wolfman,

The Theme Customize will change everything except the awn indicator 3 applet, which always remains light gray. I did install the awn-applets-all. I wish that the awn indicator applet worked, because even thought it's blank, it seems to have the ability to be made transparent. There must be a setting specific to the awn indicator 3 applet that is preventing changes to its background.

Anybody?

granul

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:39:45 pm

Bladefish wrote:I am also trying to make the awn indicator applet transparent. The link to ubuntuforums is referring to the awn indicator applet. However, Zorin OS 6 ships with the awn indicator 3 applet, which I cannot change the background for. I'm assuming that granul is talking about this. I installed the awn indicator applet, but it's just blank. I cannot right-click on either the indicator applet or the notification applet, as noted in the ubuntuforums link, so those steps are not possible here.

Any ideas?

Yes that is what i'm talking about

granul

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:20:48 am

Another little thing, i cannot change the icone of the start menu, event when i unclick : use the logo distribution.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:09:46 am

Have you guys also done this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

granul

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:26:46 pm

No matter what I tried the indicator applet always stay gray, I cannot make it transparent, everything else is working fine. I understand that is a new Zorin and it will probabely be fix in the futur.

madvinegar

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05:17 pm

Go to start>system tools>preferences>compiz config settings manager.
Go to accessibility settings and tick to enable "opacity, brightness and saturation".
Then click on it to enter its options.
On the 1st tab, under "window specific settings" click on "new".
On the "windows" space write:
name=avant-window-navigator

On the "value" space set the number to whatever you feel is better for you. I have it on 90.

Click OK and exit.

granul

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23:13 pm

Thank you, that works a little bit, but what if I want to make the panel black with transparency and the indicator with white font? Like kde panel for example.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:41:55 pm

Hi,

here are a couple of links that might help you further:

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ

Did you fully update the system??:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

granul

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:10:06 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

here are a couple of links that might help you further:

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ

Did you fully update the system??:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Yes i did update the system.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42:05 am

Hi granul,

according to this chap, it is solved:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1724060&page=2

skilo

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44:45 pm

The color of the applet is controlled by the gtk theme, But im not sure how to make it transparent, I checked a few of those threads but i didnt get any clear information there.

marestivo

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:24:23 pm

Not sure if anyone is still experiencing this issue. I looked all over these message boards (and elsewhere) for the solution. I stumbled upon it myself this morning. Here it is:

1) install gconf-editor (if you do not already have it):
sudo apt-get install gconf-editor

2) run gconf-editor from a terminal (not as root!):
gconf-editor

3) navigate to:
apps > awn-applet-notification-area

4) look at the key named "background color" - change that value to any color you like. I use #0000000000000000 which is 100% transparent, so it blends with whatever AWN theme I'm using.

That's it!

It took me way too long to figure this out, so I thought I'd share it with other people who were experiencing the same difficulty.

Alphasam1

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:39:01 am

marestivo wrote:Not sure if anyone is still experiencing this issue. I looked all over these message boards (and elsewhere) for the solution. I stumbled upon it myself this morning. Here it is:

1) install gconf-editor (if you do not already have it):
sudo apt-get install gconf-editor

2) run gconf-editor from a terminal (not as root!):
gconf-editor

3) navigate to:
apps > awn-applet-notification-area

4) look at the key named "background color" - change that value to any color you like. I use #0000000000000000 which is 100% transparent, so it blends with whatever AWN theme I'm using.

That's it!

It took me way too long to figure this out, so I thought I'd share it with other people who were experiencing the same difficulty.

I can't find awn-applet-notification-are, I'm using Zorin 8, and I also can't change the logo either